Fila Mena Apartments

Fila Mena Apartments - The main entrance to the service area

Fila Mena Apartments Maliana Reviews

goezi goezi
Bed and Breakfast in Bobonaro district Oct 06, 2009
We didn’t know much about the adventure ahead of us as everything in this mission seems to be left until the last minute. What I did get from one of the Kiwi’s was the name and number of a guest house in Maliana, the main city of Bobonaro district.

The proprietor doesn’t speak English but speaks Tetum, Bahasa and Portuguese at least. I had one of my staff make the call and we booked the last two rooms, one for 1 person, one for 3. We still didn’t know if we were going to stay in Maliana but at least we had a bed if we were.

There was no sign out front of the Fila Mena and no-one in Maliana seemed to know about the place because it had only been open since April this year. After a couple of false starts we found it and were delighted at the friendly greeting we received from Fila Mena herself.

The main dining area around which Hu and my rooms lead was filled with certificates and photographs showing her family had been well educated and had worked for the UN at some point in time. There were also many momentos from Australia, Kuala Lumpur and Cuba so I suspect Fila Mena’s children have gone out into the world although they could very well be gifts from guests of hers.

I offered Hu the single room and opted for the 3 bed room myself. Lim and his partner hadn’t arrived by the time we were settled in but US$10 for bed and breakfast per night is a good price and not likely to be beaten in a place flooded by 31 Dili UNPol.

My one regret about the Fila Mena was the lack of aircon in the rooms. Some of the more expensive ones had fans in them and their own en suite but the one I was in was hot and the foam mattress made it worse..

The power came on at 6pm and stayed on until 6am. Unfortunately my laptop plugs were not the 2-pin kind so as I type this I wonder if I’ll get to the last paragraph before my second battery dies.

The 2 toilets are of both types (squat or pan)and are kept clean. The shower is a small ladel and a tub of cold water and there are also two of those servicing the 5 guest rooms inside the house. As I said, the 4-5 rooms outside the main house all have en suites.

The US$10 price I paid covered my continental breakfast (bread, butter, spreads and coffee) and whenever we arrived back for a break, or at the end of the day, the coffee and tea things were brought out with a little selection of home cooked baked goods –perfect!

If you wanted to arrange meals then you must advise the staff early enough for them to shop for supplies. We had dinner there each night; chicken, fish, rice vegetables etc. Very nicely cooked and served with bottled water for US$3 –can’t go wrong there!

When in Maliana give Fila Mena a call, I’m sure she’ll have room and you’ll be well pleased by her hospitality.
Coffee when we arrived
Selection of beds and facilities p…
The main entrance to the service a…
Maliana Map