Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa Rates and Deals

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa Sigatoka Reviews

S-Jay S-Jay
Tourist Trap Jan 04, 2011
Touch down Nadi. After a short flight we had arrived in Fiji & all myself & my partner wanted to do was get to out hotel & settle down by the pool.

After we had collected our bags & headed to our transfer transport we sat & waited for the driver.. And waited.. And waited.. 45 minutes later the driver arrived with no apology and said welcome to Fiji "we do things on Fiji time"

Dear driver you may do Fiji time but we are on a holiday that's only a short stay and we want to get to the hotel! The driver informed us it would take 60 minutes from the airport to get to are hotel the Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa...... 1hour and 30minutes later we arrived.

The drive to the resort was interesting.. Having read reviews on Fiji I expected it to be sort of the Maldives as an example. It wasn't. I'm a nurse and did nursing in some of the poorest parts of South India and the route/road we took to the resort reminded me of there..

Shanty town after shanty town, beggars on the side of the street; homeless dogs wandering the roads. It was not what I expected and during the drive I expected this to fizzle away however it didn't and then out of no where was a massive wall and behind the wall was our hotel resort. I'm happy to mix with locals and see local tradition but this was not expected.

We get out of the little mini bus, and head to reception. Before we get to the reception we are stopped 5/6 times by massive Fijian men shouting BULLA at me, making me tres uncomfortable. At the desk we just wanted our keys but no, we had to endure a long winded "intro" about times of daily activities and then out of the blue the woman informs us that we have been charged $10 Fijian dollars for a charity trust for Fijian children and that with each credit card charge we would en-cure another $10 for the charity and upon leaving we could opt out not to pay the charge bar the first $10. I am a charity giver having participated in various events however I found this approach rude and well not even an approach, to just take money without asking is criminal!

Myself and my partner just looked at each other with the look we will discuss this later. We where then taken by a porter to are room, but it wasn't quick it was slow and painful. He took us past the bar and again we got BULLA shouted at us, we got taken around each nook & cranny and again got shouted at. Next we where taken over a bridge where there was several Fijian locals selling trinkets on the bridge and as you walked past they would say "Madam you will buy"? No I will not!

We finally get to the hotel room and it was not to bad, a bed (nothing fancy) table and 2 chairs and inside the closet was a mini fridge... In the fridge was a plate of moldy fruit that had been left as a welcome gift.. But due to the heat had gone off and the fridge had fruit fly's.. Joy!

When we booked the hotel we picked Bed & Breakfast only because we had been informed that we could walk the local streets & find shops etc to go eat / drink... We couldn't there was nothing around! The closest village was 30 minutes away by car!

Thus we had to pay for lunch / tea ... Tres expensive! For those fussy eaters out there be warned that unless you ask for the menu as soon as you entered the food hall /bar you would automatically be put down as having the local buffet and your choices would basically be foreign cuisine with spices etc... My partner is a "just English" foodie and was only able to eat bread and pork... The next night we asked for the menu and there was more choice however the portion size's were only bistro size so we got a packet of crisps at the bar!

Heading back to the hotel room & the key card wouldn't work.. Steven goes & talks to the woman at the reception desk who said she would be along shortly.. 15 min nothing.. 30 min nothing.. Ste goes back and she comes reluctantly and is able to open the door.

Now one thing you cannot control is the weather & the mornings where very lovely and sunny but each afternoon at 14:00pm the heavens opened and would not stop till the next day! Now this could have been easily overcome if maybe we had a Tv in our room or if as the hotel said they would, was to provide afternoon activites like quizzes.. But they didnt and the reason was by the activity centre was "because we cant be bothered"...

We rectified this by making friends and drinking the whole cocktail menu list putting the world to rights and stating how much we hated Fiji!

The only thing I had to look forward to was going home!

Now I'm not one to not recommend things but with this experience I am on the verge of saying I wouldn't recommend Fiji however I have put a post on the forum asking for Fiji experiences so perhaps I will read some that will make me realize it was just one of those things & will talk me into going once more.
In the transport
Wanting to get to the hotel
Local area
Sideroad stall
esvobod says:
Thanks for useful review. I was thinking about this resort, but after reading this I will look another one. Did you see any nice with possibility eating out of resort?
Posted on: Apr 06, 2011

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa Overview

The Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa is located on the Coral Coast, a 90-minute transfer away from the Fiji International Airport. Taxis are available from the Resort to visit Sigatoka, the nearest town. For duty free shopping, the tour desk can organize a rental car. Half and full day tours are also offered to explore the region.

The Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa offers five varying styles of beachfront accommodation: Frangipani Bures, Ocean View Bures, Family Beachfront Villa’s, Two Bedroom Bures and Deluxe Beachfront Bures. All rooms are air-conditioned, have IDD phones, separate en-suite bathrooms, hairdryers, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary toiletries, iron and ironing board.

The Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa is a boutique beachfront holiday resort facing the ocean lagoon. The Resort’s restaurant and bar serve both local and European cuisine throughout the day as well as a wide selection of drinks. There is also an on-site day spa, kids club and gym, and a range of activities and tours offered daily.

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa Amenities

• Direct dial phone
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower