Fiddler's Hearth

127 North Main South Bend, South Bend, IN, USA
Fiddler's Hearth - Scotch Eggs
Fiddler's Hearth - Hard boiled eggs wrapped in mild beef sausage, rolled in breadcrumbs and deep fried.
Fiddler's Hearth - Salad
Fiddler's Hearth - Chicken and Leek Boxty
Fiddler's Hearth - Chicken, mushrooms, leeks, green peas in the red pepper sauce.

Fiddler's Hearth South Bend Reviews

Flygerl Flygerl
Notre Dame's Irish Pub Jun 18, 2011
I was feeling like Shepherd's Pie (which I think is an irish meal) so I decided to walk around the corner and a few blocks away from my hotel to this bar. Fiddler's Hearth is a rustic, tavernish yet cozy restaurant and bar. It sits south of Notre Dame in the middle of South Bend's downtown area. I decided to choose a bench table seat facing the fireplace instead of a bar seat. My waitress was a cute blond, very accommodating when I began my order. The thing is the menu is massive, well maybe not massive I was just starved from not eating all day, but still there was much to choose from. Bangers and Mash, Steak and Guinness Pie, Fish and Chips, salads, Irish and Scottish burgers and more.

I decided to be adventurous and go for the Scotch Eggs as an appetizer. For those who do not know, as I did not, this is boiled eggs wrapped in beef sausage, rolled in breadcrumbs and fried. I like sausage and I like fried. For me the eggs and sausage were a little bland. Beef sausage has less fat and flavor than pork but the bread crumbs were flavorless. The dip paired with it was a dijon mustard blend. The salad to my entree was the best part of my meal with ranch dressing. The mixed arugala and greens were fresh topped with shredded carrots. Here I should have continued with Shepherd's Pie but went with a Chicken and Leek Boxty. The boxty is chicken, ham, mushrooms, green peas, leeks in a creamy white wine sauce wrapped in a buckwheat or potato pancake. I asked my server to hold the ham and she made me aware the wine sauce had pork in it and suggested I trade that sauce for the red pepper sauce. I did but it was probably the last big mistake I made. The pancake was soggy, not sure if that was typical of the boxty. I like the meat and the vegetables which were al dente. The sauce not so good with the chicken and leeks. The original creamy white wine sauce is surely better seasoned. This meal was experimental so next time I'm in South Bend I might try Fiddler's Hearth again just to make sure it me and not them.
Scotch Eggs
Hard boiled eggs wrapped in mild b…
Salad