AsiaJapanTokyoTokyo Tips

Festivals in Japan - Food Stall
Festivals in Japan - start of festival with dancing
Festivals in Japan - Some of the crowd and stalls
Festivals in Japan - More dancing
Festivals in Japan - Mikoshi (portable shrine)

Festivals in Japan Tokyo Reviews

aussielivinginjapan aussieli…
Aug 03, 2003
There are many festivals (matsuri) that are celebrated in Japan at various times of the year. The most popular time is in summer. Most are to celebrate something seasonal or historical.

Some of the main ones are Setsubun 3rd or 4th of February (first day of spring), Tanabata (star festival) on 7 July, Sapporo snow festival in January / February, and Obon festival from 13th to 16th July is a very import event for buddhist.

At many of the festivals there is a parade either carrying mikoshi (a portable shrine) and this is celebrated by Shito religion there is also some kind of float with people on it and drum or flute music. The parade moves out of the Shrine and then makes its way through the town and then back to Shrine.

Other festivals there is traditional dancing and food stalls.

If there is one thing you should not miss in Japan its a festival they are very bright, colourful, loud and energetic as well as a lot of fun and a great way to experience Japanese culture.
start of festival with dancing
Some of the crowd and stalls
More dancing
Food Stall

Related Travel Blogs About Festivals in Japan

Festival Funday with Friends on a Sunday
It was my last day in Tokyo ~ and two years ago, on my first visit in Japan, my friend Niji and I came across the Minato Festival by Zozoji Temple. And I'm back! Minato Festival has a lot of food fr…Tokyo ~ and two years ago, on my first visit in Japan, my friend Niji and I came across the Minato Festival
Day 3: Watching a festival in Asakusa
After leaving the Akihabara area, we went to the Asakusa area. In this area of Tokyo, is the Asakusa Kannon Temple located. It was my second time I visited this temple. But the difference t… After leaving the Akihabara area, we went to the Asakusa area. In this area of Tokyo, is the Asakusa…
Tokyo - Seminar and post-seminar festivities
We started off the day with a briefing from the Canadian Embassy in Tokyo, giving us a fly-by panorama of what we can expect doing business in Japan. We were basically instructed that relationship-bu… We started off the day with a briefing from the Canadian Embassy in Tokyo, giving us a fly-by panorama…

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals