Ferry Ride in Penang

+604-2102 363

Ferry Ride in Penang Reviews

trippin_jen trippin_…
Ferry Ride in Penang Mar 26, 2012
In Penang you can find all sorts of transportation - planes, buses, trains, trishaws, bicycles, motorbikes, cars, cruises and ferries. Since I had a little spare time in Penang (but not long enough to do other things), I thought I'd just jump on the ferry to go over to Butterworth.

It was actually my first time going on a ferry and I was a bit fascinated... or was I living under a shell all the while? Hahahah!

They do have a timetable as to when they will depart from the Jetty. See this link: http://www.mywisewife.com/butterworth-penang-ferry-services-estimated-departure-time-daily-schedule-and-rate.html. I was lucky. I only waited 1 minute for each of the way (Penang to Butterworth and return).

And they have different ferries to 'ship' cars, or to ship both cars and man. See this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penang_Ferry_Service. The one I took, shipped both cars and man, on the same deck! First, cars were allowed entry. As they've parked nicely by the side, the gate opens for the people to come in. In the middle, a number of seats are provided. But many prefer to stand by the edge for better view and sea breeze. I was one of them. As I observed, those who came with their cars were either playing with their mobile phones, or came out for some fresh air or sleeping in their cars. The others waited patiently to reach the other end.

As I looked down, I don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me, and don't know if this is possible, but I thought I saw many jelly fish swimming below.... and they're really big and quick! Unfortunately I was not able to catch them on pictures.

The ride from Penang to Butterworth takes only about 10 minutes and the sea breeze was really nice. The view could be better if it wasn't hazy.

To those who expect to suffer from sea-sickness, do take your medication at least an hour before the ride. Although it was a smooth ride the whole time, somehow or rather, I didn't feel good. I guess it's better to take precautions than to feel sick later on, right?

Traveling from Penang to Butterworth is actually free of charge, but returning to the island will cost you MYR 1.20.
Ferry Ride in Penang - walking tow…
Ferry Ride in Penang - Penang Brid…
Ferry Ride in Penang - waiting area
Ferry Ride in Penang - Free ride!
trippin_jen says:
off peak time.. it probably takes about the same time?
Posted on: Mar 29, 2012
iramalama says:
I always wondered if it would be just as fast to take a bus straight to Penang island rather than catch the ferry from Butterworth. Still...the ferry is fun!
Posted on: Mar 29, 2012