Ferries in and to Aland

www.alandstrafiken.ax/eng - +358-(0)18-525 100

Ferries in and to Aland Reviews

davidx davidx
Interest and fun Aug 26, 2010
'The fool's got it wrong,' I hear you say, 'Ferries are not free.' Well I haven't but you are not entirely wrong. If there's one category of person for whom Åland is ideally suited, it's the cyclist. For both the pedestrian and the cyclist, there's no charge. What about the motorist? It's easy to find on the website how much it costs you -yes, I'm afraid it does - to go right from the Finnish mainland to the Main Island of Åland but I can't work out what it costs if you stay a night on the way. It used to be free in the latter case but I don't find the website clear on this. You would do best to phone. Their English is good and they are very helpful.

Some, if not all, of the ferries have what looks like a cake and coffee bar. Actually you can buy a tasty meal - not fast food either but cooked to order!

I'm no expert on the smaller islands as a whole but we went as pedestrians and spent a night (by choice) on Kokar and continued to the mainland next day. I doubt there is a better island.

I presume it goes without saying that this is not the fastest way of getting by sea from Åland to Turku on the mainland. It's faster by Silva or Viking line from Mariehamn - but not free!

Related Travel Blogs About Ferries in and to Aland

Chasing windmills in the Åland islands
May 24, 2008Ferry: Stockholm, Sweden to Mariehamn, FinlandHotel: Stradnas Hotel, 63EUR ($100)The breakfast spread at the Sign hotel this morning in Stockholm was very good!  We left the hotel an…ferry terminal.  We were planning on visiting the Aland islands, an autonomous Swedish-speaking province of Finland.  The Alands

Compare Godby Hotel Rates (11.4km away)

Ferries in and to Aland Map