Fern Canyon

127011 Newton B. Drurry Parkway Orick CA 95555(Gold Bluffs Beach), Redwood National Park, USA

Fern Canyon Redwood National Park Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
should be your # 1 "must-visit" list for Redwood NP/SP Jul 09, 2013
Redwood National Park is HUGE! We only have a day to spend we focused on an activity that we are most fond of -- hiking. We like to hike but we’re “beginners” so we picked a trail that is a short distance and moderate.

One of the images that got my attention during my research was a spectacular picture of a canyon, draped or covered with thick ferns in different shades of green. I was captivated! Later, I found out it is called the “Fern Canyon”, it is quite aptly named.

Fern Canyon is two cliffs facing together graced and carpeted with extremely green, robust ferns. Botanists may easily figure the five different varieties of luxuriant ferns growing on the canyons. In between these two 50-foot walls is a narrow pathway. The two-mile pathway loop is mostly dry but streams of water flows on both edges of the outer path. On some spots there are fallen trees that bridge the top of the canyon. Listening to the birds and the bubbling sounds of the water, while you stand in the middle of the canyon is what makes the experience truly magical! And it is the most refreshing site you could ever marvel at! I was even thinking this would be a perfect venue for those who wish a small but intimate wedding ceremony!

The approach to the canyon from the beach or from the parking lot may not look inviting but after a few bends of the stream, the canyon gets extremely narrow and then you will start to see the unbelievable charm of Fern Canyon.

The ferns appear to go on forever as we went deeper into the canyons so after a mile of hike we turned around to head back. Apparently, it is a loop and if you continue to follow the canyon you will end up to where you started.

If you are visiting Prairie Creek State Part in Redwood National Park, I’m encouraging you to visit Fern Canyon. I would put it number 1 in my list of ten-must dos!

The traverse to the exact location of Fern Canyon is not an easy one though whether through hiking or via car. We did not hike because it is an 8-mile foot walks roundtrip from the Prairie Creek Park Visitor Center, so we drove down instead.

When I was doing my research of how to get there, I couldn’t find a clear and easy direction to follow. So anyway, I try to provide an easy step by step direction here. I hope it’ll help.

DIRECTION TO FERN CANYON: (via car)

On CA Hwy 101 heading SOUTH:

1.Turn right onto Davison Road. Davidson Road is about 2 miles South of Prairie Creek Visitor Center.

2.Continue driving on Davison Road. Just follow the signs to Fern Canyon and Gold Bluffs Campground. Davidson road leads DOWN and has some very steep and hilly points. The road is a one-lane narrow dirt road, so trailers are not allowed. At some point you would feel like you’re lost in the middle of an enchanted forest. However, just keep following this spectacular scenic drive for 6 miles until the narrow dirt road leads you to Gold Bluff Beach and you will see a small park ranger station.

3.Pay US$8.00 at the ranger station to enter the vicinity (cash or check only). California State Park and National Park Service passes are accepted.

4.Keep driving for another 3 miles from the ranger station; and then you will see a camp ground on your left hand side. Pass the camp ground.

5.Keep driving for another ½ a mile after you pass the campground. You will hit several steep bumps with small streams but doable by car or mini-van. As soon as you pass this section…

6.You will now see a parking lot on the left hand side of the road. And…

7.You have reached your destination! At the parking lot you will see a trailhead sign pointing the way to the Fern Canyon.

8.There are potty cubicles in a corner if you need to use one.

I hope the pictures I took gives you an idea of what Fern Canyon looks like!

TRIVIA: Fern Canyon is featured as location shooting for the movie Jurassic Park II!

along Davidson Road
very dusty...
the sign to the Fern Canyon
jeminigirl says:
Beautiful - definitely a future feature May - have a fab weekend =)
Posted on: Sep 20, 2013
cotton_foam says:
Ils: yeah...we enjoyed the visit --- was very relaxing!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2013
Ils1976 says:
OMG this looks so beautiful ... have to go there some there! :D
Posted on: Sep 16, 2013