Ferhadija Mosque

Kralja Petra I Karadjordjevica, Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ferhadija Mosque Banja Luka Reviews

odiseya odiseya
Ferhadija Mosque Jan 25, 2017
Ferhat Pasha Mosque, most known as Ferhadija Mosque, is one of most famous examples of 16th century Ottoman Islamic architecture in country. Author of design of mosque is unknown but it supposed to be Mimar Sinan. It named after the Sanjak-bey Ferhat-paša Sokolović. The mosque was built in 1579. Today this is a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The whole complex consisted of the mosque, the courtyard, a graveyard, the fountain, 3 mausoleums or turbes and the surrounding wall with the gate. It was reopened in 2016 second time in last 100 years. First was reconstructed after devastating earthquake in 1969 and 23 years of its fail in last civil war. It takes 15 years of work to finish the complex. I found out that today mosque contain about 3500 original fragments, 65% of the original material of the mosque. The reconstruction was funded by private foundations, the Turkish government and the government of the Republika Srpska. First attempt of opening the complex in 2001 was become international news of intolerance. Lots of things was changed since then. This time, with high security, ceremony of opening was held peacefully and with dignity.

I do not think that life here now in general is much better or easier for anybody but there is progress.

I visit complex recently, but I didn't go inside of mosque. It was crowded inside. Many people in general visit the complex, both believers and tourists. It is part of touristic tour and popular location. It is easy accessible with walking distance from other attraction in town.
Ferhadija Mosque
odiseya says:
I am glad you liked! I hope we will small meeting in my favorite town. I travel there on weekends.
Posted on: Jan 25, 2017
Toonsarah says:
Interesting review :-)
Posted on: Jan 25, 2017
HORSCHECK says:
Interesting tip. Banja Luka is still on my must-visit list.
Posted on: Jan 23, 2017