Feel @ Home Backpackers

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals

Feel @ Home Backpackers Bangkok Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Feel @ Home Backpackers Apr 28, 2013
I just arrived to Bangkok’s famous Khaosan Road from Cambodia with uncomfortable van and the driver that needed 10 pee stops to cover 100km. OK, van was not that uncomfortable, but filled with load of westerners and our bags that took over couple seats. Luckily for me, van dropped us right at the beginning of the Khaosan Road, couple of hours late, but still during the day time. I wanted to see surrounding so I rushed around asking people for hotel/hostel recommendations and stopping at the receptions on the way. Most of the places did not have room or bed left, and I was not willing to pay more than 300 baht for a bed. Wasting precious light was not a thing I could afford so when I got to the place with available dorms, I just took it.

Feel @ Home Backpackers is a wannabe hostel run by Indian family. Now, let me be very clear about this… There is no way that Indians can run good hostel! Their niche market is family hotels or cheep places but hostels… hell no. There is old saying in Serbia that goes, “frog saw the horse receiving the horse-shoe so she lifted the leg too”. Simply, you can’t just name your place “hostel” and think that it is cool place where backpackers come and hangout… Funniest situation was one night when I came back to the hostel and owner stopped me to ask me if I see some changes in the lobby and how do I like the place now. They contacted tourist biro and got some posters of the Thailand… and that is amazing new thing. Their serious question was if it works for backpackers and do you like it more than before. I did not have hart to tell them that it looks more like unsuccessful restaurant than anything else… I spent some time with them talking about options that they have to make this place more inviting, but I don’t think that they got the idea at all.

Steep and small stairs lead up to couple floors. Every floor has its own bathrooms and showers, and what I find interesting is that light is on outside, so everyone can turn lights off and on which is not much fun. Dorms have fans and AC, and it is pretty good to sleep there. Under every bunk bed there are locker boxes where you can put your bags. Lockers are metal and most of them sound really bad when you open them, which is a bit of annoyance during the night or early morning hours. Dorm is pretty spacious and has 10-12 beds and washing station. Only annoyance is that there is no thrash bin in the room, so you must go outside and dispose your trash. WiFi is available through whole hostel and they also have couple of computers on the bottom floor. At night you can count of couple of recent bootleg movies being projected on the wall in the lobby. Reception has some idea of the surrounding and they also have some offers for tours in the area but they are not too helpful.

In conclusion, dorms are basic, you definitely wont feel at home, dorm beds cost 260b and it is ok to stay there, but next time I will be looking for the different place.

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals