Fawcett Husky Truck Stop & Sportsman Inn

PO Box 90, Fawcett, Canada
Fawcett Husky Truck Stop & Sportsman Inn - Truck Stop restaurant, Fawcett, Alberta.

Fawcett Husky Truck Stop & Sportsman Inn Reviews

planxty planxty
Truckers usually know. Mar 07, 2017
I have long been of the opinion that the people who know where to get the best food are police officers, taxi drivers and truckers. A good truckstop is a thing of joy and usually as tasty as some of what passes for fine dining and so we were delighted when we happened upon the Fawcett Truck Stop, basically at the side of Highway 44 just North of the hamlet of that name.

It was about 2000 hours and my friend Lynne had said that she could do with a bite to eat and I could certainly have gone a beer or two but that is my default position.

We pulled in and parked out the front as the place wasn't busy but there is further parking to the side of the building. We were seated by a very friendly young lady which is about what I have come to expect in Canada. It is so different to certain places in the UK where surliness seems to be a pre-reuisite for employment and facility in the English language not necessarily so. I realise there are different sytems of remuneration in place and North American waiting staff are far more dependent on tips to make a living so it pays them to be nice. I find the overwhelming majority of Canadian staff to be genuinely personable and have written of it many times elsewhere. In three summers there now I have not yet had to alter my opinion.

I was debating whether or not to eat as I perused the menu which comprised of the usual favourites like burgers, hot dogs, fries, steaks etc. etc. and I saw the young lady serving a nearby table wich was one of the few occupied. The food looked very good so I decided I would have a snack and order something small although I knew that to be a fruitless task. I never cease to be amazed at the size of the servings in North America, they are huge and I can never finish even a light m"eal". OK, I have the appetite of a sparrow but it is always a doggy bag for me, I'm afraid. I swear I would order children's portions if I didn't think they'd throw me out.

When time came to order I plumped for Farmer's Fries which I had never had nor even heard of before, along with another can of Kokanee beer which I rather like. It is brewed in neighbouring British Columbia and at least tastes of something unlike the insipid Budweiser that seems so popular. Lynne ordered a portion of poutine which, if you don't know, is basically chips (fries) smothered in gravy and often cheese as well. It is just about the national dish of Canada and is more an article of faith ther than a foodstuff.

There was a bit of a wait for the food, not excessive, and that can often be a good sign as it means the food is being freshly cooked which turned out to be exactly the case. The chips were obviously hand-cut, skin on as I

like and cooked to perfection, piping hot and not soggy at all. I still have not worked out quite what the sauce was but it was gorgeous. The salsa on top finished it off a treat.

OK, I didn't manage to finish it off but I made a very good effort and got through a whole lot more than I thought I would.

Lynne declared her poutine to be very tasty as well which is praise indeed coming from her I can assure you.

If you happen to be on 44 make a point of going there, it is excellent.
Fawcett Husky Truck Stop & Sportsman Inn Map