Faraid Head

Durness, Scotland

Faraid Head Durness Reviews

davidx davidx
Seals, eider and a man with a gun Sep 11, 2010
I have been to Faraid Head from Durness three times. The first and third were great; the second was a bit sad - but it's a wonderful walk - hopeless for wheel-chairs but OK for most.

The first time I went from Ullapool to Durness with students on a course. As I drove the minibus the weather lifted from wet to quite sunny and we set off up the east side of the peninsula. It is mainly low cliffs but they rise nearer to the headland itself. Here there are what I gather are Moine rocks but I'm no geologist What I know is that the rock structure allowed for tiny inlets that widened out inside. Looking down from the rocks above I had a view of seals playing under water which exceeded any I have ever had in an aquarium.

We returned on the opposite side of the peninsula along the long beach of Balnakeil Bay with gannets diving off-shore.

The next time I went again with students, this time with a colleague as well. of course I had told them all about it. In the event there was a storm and it was dreadful looking down on the seals being battered against the rocks. Then, having been right round the first time, I offered to go straight back for the coach and pick up the others at Balnashiel Craft Village. Oh dear! On the way I saw a man with a gun pointed at me. I am sure now that it was a complete non-event but you can imagine how I felt! It delayed me a lot and as I changed my shoes to drive, the others turned up, having walked all the way.

The third time I was with Pam and it was very like the first, with the great added bonus of seeing eider ducks, each with a brood of young ducklings, swimming in from Iceland.

Check Durness Hotel Deals