1491 Mill Run Road Mill Run, Mill Run, PA, USA
Fallingwater.org - 724-329-8501

Fallingwater Mill Run Reviews

Zagnut66 Zagnut66
Fallingwater Sep 23, 2013
I booked the two-hour extensive tour for an 8:30 a.m. start time for a pricey $65, but it was worth both the money and the early wake up. The guide was enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and very funny, giving everyone on the ten-person tour ample time to take photographs (which is not allowed on the one-hour regular tour). There was a thick fog when I left the hotel, which made the winding drive on the country roads an adventure, but it lifted during the tour for a glorious afternoon.

Fallingwater is one of the most famous houses in the United States, a masterpiece by Frank Lloyd Wright. It doesn't really fit into any of Wright's recognized styles (such as the Usonian-style Kentuck Knob just a few miles away), essentially a vanity project for wealthy patrons willing to put up with his gargantuan ego. A river flows under the house, the sound of its cascading water blending with the green landscape to soothe the senses. The stone floors are waxed to create the illusion of wetness. There is no central entrance, just various doors letting you in here and there to dispel any notion that this is a standard house.

It can get crowded inside as some of the rooms are rather small, and it is not handicap friendly as far as I could tell (there are lots of steps to climb). The walk back to the visitor center is all uphill, but not that far of a distance. At the end of the tour you're forced to watch a short film on conservation projects in Western Pennsylvania in a plea for donations, but it's a worthy cause so I didn't mind.

Kentuck Knob is about a twenty-minute drive from Fallingwater, so you can easily see both houses in one day, though book your tickets online to guarantee spaces. Definitely a must-see for anyone traveling in the area and a great excuse for folks living in the mid-Atlantic region to take a weekend road trip.
Early morning mist
Approaching Fallingwater
Tiny kitchen
spocklogic says:
This has been on my list of places to visit for some years now, but I haven't yet made the trip there. It's not very far and I could do it on a weekend getaway, but usually the times I want to go it's all booked up - I'll get there to see it eventually.
Cho says:
Congratulations on this well deserved featured review!
cotton_foam says:
no wonder it is featured! quite interesting house :) and oh, congrats, Bill!
david40price david40p…
A dream come true! Nov 07, 2011
I have been to Falling Water 5 times. Each time taking a family member or out of towner who has heard of it, but never seen it.

Not only is it an architectural dream, the setting is also equally a dream. Having a house that stradles a waterfall with lush surroundings is asstounding.

There are many near by attractions such as Seven Springs and 2 other Frank Lloyd Wright homes to visit. Pittsburgh is a short 50 minute drive as well which is full of things to do.

If you are visiting the Pittsburgh area, it would be a crime to not see this home!
Martin_Austria Martin_A…
Fallingwater - what a masterpiece of architecture Mar 23, 2010
Fallingwaters was my favorite house during my time at the interior design school. When I planed my little trip to the US I discovered that this house was actually nearly on the way of my travel plans. (only a few additional hours)

The house was built between 1937 and 38, more than 70 years ago. But the way it was designed, all its well thought details - its just incredible to see. Many elements and ideas he (Frank Lloyd Wright) used became fundamental aspects of architecture how we know it today.

Was a sensational trip, due I had lots of memories about my school time - I never thought I would see this incredible house in person.

But only to recommend to people which care about architecture ;-)

3 Tour available:

Ground access: no tours around 16 USD

Ground access + small house tour: 1,5 hours around 30 USD

Ground access + big house tour (all rooms): 2-3 hours 65 USD
Martin_Austria says:
Thank you to everyone for the congrats! I really appreciate it. Martin
Posted on: Mar 24, 2010
aussieguy1983 says:
Hey thats amazing, i came out of interior design school with a goal to one day see falling water, hasnt happened yet, but it must have been great to be there and see it in real. I'm jellous as! one day hopefully i will get there.
alyssa_ob says:
Congrats on the feature Martin! That would be a neat place to live.
nicolecarp nicoleca…
Beautiful Fallingwater Jan 14, 2009
Fallingwater is an architectural wonder built by Frank Lloyd Wright between 1936 and 1939 for a family named the Kauffmans. I had always thought that the waterfall ran thru the house but instead the house stretches out 30' over the running waterfall beneath it. The house is actually cantilevered on a massive boulder and supports the structure of the home. This home became part of nature by incorporating the natural surroundings and the style of the house was very unlike architecture of that time. The modern engineering and design that Frank Lloyd Wright created for the house is still marveled today.

As you walk up to the residence you feel like you are almost in a rain forrest. There is so much greenery and light rainfall they even give you umbrellas for the trek out to the home. As you approach you can help but notice the natural colors of the home and of course the signature Cherokee Red that Frank Lloyd Wright used as his signature color. The house boats colorful views of the lush trees and flowing waterfall. You cannot take pictures inside the home on the basic tour but I believe you can on a more expensive tour.

On our tour we learned interesting facts and also amusing ones. When we were standing in one of the bedrooms our tour guide pointed to my boyfriend (who is 6'3") and said that Frank Looyd Wright designed the house around his own personal height. Anyone taller than himself was "A Waste of Space". So apparently Ben would have been looked down upon for the first time in his life, just not literally, for his height.

Fallingwater sits on the Bear Run Nature grounds so if you are planning on visiting you can plan to camp, go rafting and hike. Make sure to book a reservation for a tour of Fallingwater about 2 weeks in advanced to ensure you will have a spot on the tour.
cheesy smile and before I chopped …
Guest House/Garage
The waterfall running past the hom…
Africancrab says:
Nice review, thanks for sharing

Related Travel Blogs About Fallingwater

What started as a timekiller on a business trip turned out to be one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. Set on 1500 acres of beautiful mountain woodlands in Southwestern Pennsylvania is … What started as a timekiller on a business trip turned out to be one of the most amazing places I…
Fallingwater Map