1491 Mill Run Road Mill Run, Mill Run, PA, USA
Fallingwater.org - 724-329-8501

Fallingwater Mill Run Reviews

Zagnut66 Zagnut66
Fallingwater Sep 23, 2013
I booked the two-hour extensive tour for an 8:30 a.m. start time for a pricey $65, but it was worth both the money and the early wake up. The guide was enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and very funny, giving everyone on the ten-person tour ample time to take photographs (which is not allowed on the one-hour regular tour). There was a thick fog when I left the hotel, which made the winding drive on the country roads an adventure, but it lifted during the tour for a glorious afternoon.

Fallingwater is one of the most famous houses in the United States, a masterpiece by Frank Lloyd Wright. It doesn't really fit into any of Wright's recognized styles (such as the Usonian-style Kentuck Knob just a few miles away), essentially a vanity project for wealthy patrons willing to put up with his gargantuan ego. A river flows under the house, the sound of its cascading water blending with the green landscape to soothe the senses. The stone floors are waxed to create the illusion of wetness. There is no central entrance, just various doors letting you in here and there to dispel any notion that this is a standard house.

It can get crowded inside as some of the rooms are rather small, and it is not handicap friendly as far as I could tell (there are lots of steps to climb). The walk back to the visitor center is all uphill, but not that far of a distance. At the end of the tour you're forced to watch a short film on conservation projects in Western Pennsylvania in a plea for donations, but it's a worthy cause so I didn't mind.

Kentuck Knob is about a twenty-minute drive from Fallingwater, so you can easily see both houses in one day, though book your tickets online to guarantee spaces. Definitely a must-see for anyone traveling in the area and a great excuse for folks living in the mid-Atlantic region to take a weekend road trip.
Early morning mist
Approaching Fallingwater
Tiny kitchen
spocklogic says:
This has been on my list of places to visit for some years now, but I haven't yet made the trip there. It's not very far and I could do it on a weekend getaway, but usually the times I want to go it's all booked up - I'll get there to see it eventually.
Cho says:
Congratulations on this well deserved featured review!
cotton_foam says:
no wonder it is featured! quite interesting house :) and oh, congrats, Bill!
david40price david40p…
A dream come true! Nov 07, 2011
I have been to Falling Water 5 times. Each time taking a family member or out of towner who has heard of it, but never seen it.

Not only is it an architectural dream, the setting is also equally a dream. Having a house that stradles a waterfall with lush surroundings is asstounding.

There are many near by attractions such as Seven Springs and 2 other Frank Lloyd Wright homes to visit. Pittsburgh is a short 50 minute drive as well which is full of things to do.

If you are visiting the Pittsburgh area, it would be a crime to not see this home!
Martin_Austria Martin_A…
Fallingwater - what a masterpiece of architecture Mar 23, 2010
Fallingwaters was my favorite house during my time at the interior design school. When I planed my little trip to the US I discovered that this house was actually nearly on the way of my travel plans. (only a few additional hours)

The house was built between 1937 and 38, more than 70 years ago. But the way it was designed, all its well thought details - its just incredible to see. Many elements and ideas he (Frank Lloyd Wright) used became fundamental aspects of architecture how we know it today.

Was a sensational trip, due I had lots of memories about my school time - I never thought I would see this incredible house in person.

But only to recommend to people which care about architecture ;-)

3 Tour available:

Ground access: no tours around 16 USD

Ground access + small house tour: 1,5 hours around 30 USD

Ground access + big house tour (all rooms): 2-3 hours 65 USD
Martin_Austria says:
Thank you to everyone for the congrats! I really appreciate it. Martin
Posted on: Mar 24, 2010
aussieguy1983 says:
Hey thats amazing, i came out of interior design school with a goal to one day see falling water, hasnt happened yet, but it must have been great to be there and see it in real. I'm jellous as! one day hopefully i will get there.
Posted on: Mar 23, 2010
alyssa_ob says:
Congrats on the feature Martin! That would be a neat place to live.
Posted on: Mar 23, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Fallingwater

Fallingwater
What started as a timekiller on a business trip turned out to be one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. Set on 1500 acres of beautiful mountain woodlands in Southwestern Pennsylvania is … What started as a timekiller on a business trip turned out to be one of the most amazing places I…
Fallingwater Map