Fairmont Orchid Hotel Kamuela

Check Kamuela Hotel Deals

Fairmont Orchid Hotel Kamuela Reviews

mayerel mayerel
Easy, family-friendly, beachfront hotel Jul 19, 2012
This resort completely met our expectations. After a long day of travel the check-in process was very easy. They accommodated three of us in one room with 2 queen beds and an additional roller bed which was very comfortable. The room was big enough and not cramped at all with three girls!

The resort has a wonderful protected bay to swim, snorkel or whatever your beach activity of choice is. The beach shop offers rentals of lots of equipment including snorkels, paddle boards and kayaks making it an easy way to spend a day.

The pool was fine. The restaurants were fine but a bit expensive. We did use room service a few times and the food arrived warm and still quite good. Brown's Deli is a good place to grab breakfast or lunch a bit quicker and cheaper than the actual restaurants and there is a little grocery store just down the street which is a great way to get your meals a little cheaper.

We had a great experiences with the concierge. On a few occasions they provided us with great information and tips including a few places not to miss and some good, but rather off the grid restaurants.

Overall the hotel was clean, well cared for and was exactly what we needed.
View from our cabana
Turtles visit each day!
SuperShan1015 SuperSha…
Overall a good hotel, lacked Apr 15, 2010
I traveled to the Big Island on July 2nd and stayed at the Fairmont Orchid until the 8th. We stayed on the east side of the island for the remainder of the trip. We were happy with the accommodations as a whole but it definitely didn't have the "wow" factor we had envisioned for a Fairmont hotel/resort. We had champagne and a nice card waiting for us in our room upon our arrival. It was definitely a resort feel for people who like all their amenities at arms-reach (which I do).

Upon check-in the check-in clerk said our room was one of the best there, however, she said they were offering us a special upgrade. I inquired how much, then the woman told me the manager could come down and negotiate a price. I possibly would have upgraded but the fact that they didn't have an upgrade price available at the moment seemed like a big hassle.

We had an Oceanfront Room which had a spectacular view of the ocean & sunset. I felt badly for people who had the "Ocean View" rooms because they probably had to stick their necks out around the corner to see a sliver of the ocean in some spots. For paying $700+/per night I expected more inside of our room (maybe a fridge that didn't freeze everything inside of it?). It seemed like pretty standard room even though it was supposed to be a Deluxe Ocean Front Room.

The valet attendants were fantastic and helpful and always willing to give you directions, maps, water, and towels (no charge). Funny though, because they charge you $3 or $4 by the pool for the same bottle of water, but they give you for free when you depart the hotel for the day. I felt a bit nickel & dimed for everything. It was about $14/hr to rent snorkel gear. I went to Costco about 20 minutes away (there is a Walmart too) and bought a whole snorkel set (mask, snorkel, and fins) for under $40 so at least I could use it at the Fairmont & any other beach I wanted to snorkel at. I brought my own beach towels from home and was "confronted" by security for not using their thin, dingy white towels provided for guests. They said having your own beach towels signals security that you aren't a guest. I appreciate that the Fairmont Orchid tries to keep the riff raff out of their private beach but it was a bit embarrassing to be asked for hotel keys and ID in front of other guests. God forbid I have a nice tropical beach towel instead of using dingy, thin, cheap hotel-provided towels! So the next day I went back to the beach at the Fairmont and asked for a hotel-provided towel. They pointed to a bin and said they were in there. That really peeved me. So basically anyone (non-hotel guests) can use their private beach as long as they take a towel from the bin...doesn't make any sense!

After about spending $5K+ on accommodations, room service, drinks, dinner, etc. I felt it wasn't worth all of the hype. The hotel was beautiful and would recommend it but it seemed a bit pricey for all of the add-on fees. If you are staying there it may be better to get an Ocean View room since it is far less expensive and you probably won't be in it as much. I had a great time there and everything was very scenic and gorgeous. I just wanted to give an honest review. I am definitely not complaining, just wanted to give a bit of insight. Thanks!
Beach Cove at the Fairmont Orchid
View from Oceanfront Room Deluxe
Sunset at the Fairmont Orchid
Waterfall Garden at the Fairmont O…
SuperShan1015 says:
Dieforu--I just noticed the typo. It was about $5,000USD not $500,000. I just fixed it on my review. I wish I had had the means for a $5000K vacation! :) Sorry for the confusion.
SuperShan1015 says:
It was quite expensive! I thought it was a really nice place and enjoyed it; I just expected a bit more considering how much I paid. If I go back to the Big Island I would stay in a vacation rental to save money. I actually prefer Maui over the Big Island anyway.:)
dieforu says:
looks great place to be,but bit expensive right?

Fairmont Orchid Hotel Kamuela Overview

Location.
The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii is located on the beach in Kamuela and local attractions include Hapuna Beach State Park and Mauna Kea Beach. Other regional attractions include Hamakua Macadamia Nut Company Visitor's Center and Pua Mau Place Arboretum.

Resort Features.
This Kamuela resort has a private beach. Dining options at The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii include a restaurant and a coffee shop/cafA©. A poolside bar and a bar/lounge are open for drinks. Room service is available during limited hours. Recreational amenities include an outdoor pool, a health club, a spa tub, a sauna, and a fitness facility. The property's full-service health spa has beauty services. This 4.5-star property has a business center and offers small meeting rooms, a meeting/conference room, and a technology helpdesk. Wireless and wired high-speed Internet access is available in public areas (surcharges apply). This Kamuela property has event space consisting of banquet facilities, conference/meeting rooms, a ballroom, and exhibit space. Business services, wedding services, limo/town car service, and tour assistance are available. Guest parking is limited, and available on a limited first-come, first-served basis (surcharge). Additional property amenities include a concierge desk, barbecue grills, and an arcade/game room.

Guestrooms.
540 air-conditioned guestrooms at The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii feature minibars and coffee/tea makers. All accommodations have furnished balconies. Bathrooms feature separate bathtubs and showers, double sinks, makeup/shaving mirrors, and bathrobes. Wired high-speed and wireless Internet access is available for a surcharge. In addition to desks and complimentary newspapers, guestrooms offer multi-line phones with voice mail. 42-inch LCD televisions have cable channels, video-game consoles, and pay movies. Rooms also include safes and windows that open. Guests may request a turndown service, refrigerators, and microwaves. Housekeeping is available daily.

Resort staff can assist guests with snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, and other water sports, fees apply. Cultural and nature hikes are also available (surcharge). Complimentary water-aerobics classes are held in the resort's 10,000-square-foot freeform pool each morning. Other facilities include two outdoor spa tubs, and a fitness center. Guests have access to 10 tennis courts, with a pro shop and instruction available, fees apply.

For a one-time per-person fee, guests may obtain an optional activity pass that includes snorkeling, beach, and kayak equipment, yoga, surfing, and tennis lessons.

The Fairmont Orchid is adjacent to the Francis H. I'i Brown Golf Course, which features two 18-hole, par 72 golf courses with ocean views and green fairways patterned with black lava.

The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel, fees may apply.

Fairmont Orchid Hotel Amenities

• Steam Room
  • Massage
  • Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes