Experience Music Project

325 5th Avenue North, Seattle, WA, USA
www.emplive.org - (206) 367-5483
Experience Music Project - thousands of all type guitars
Experience Music Project - thousands of all type guitars
Experience Music Project - Aerial view of the unique EMP building, courtesy of: emp.org
Experience Music Project - Jimi Hendrix guitar
Experience Music Project - Jimi Hendrix outfit
Experience Music Project - monorail leaves seattle center, where EMP is located...seen here to the right of the monorail track.

Experience Music Project Seattle Reviews

mazi mazi
"Wicked"-Don't miss it Feb 20, 2011
This is brilliant!

So good we went twice while we were there a few days ago.

There's a whole area dedicated to sound. Each room is sound proof with instruments in each i.e drums, guitar, vocal, mixing desks, keyboard, decks & the list goes on!

You have a 10 minute slot in each of the rooms so if nobody's waiting you can reset the time to go again.Had a great time going mental on the drums!

Then there's the Jimi Hendrix experience, has all the memorabilia of his songs, clothing and guitars ( of bits of them) ;)

Upstairs is the Battle star Galactic expo and also a room where you can go in play all the instruments & watch yourself back on a recording....hilarious!

Don't miss this place!
JuanMarin92 JuanMari…
Learning about music Jul 29, 2010
This is a great place to learn about rock, play an instrument or relax listening to some music.

It's got a room that shows you the way the electric guitar was created.

Very interesting.
thousands of all type guitars
Jimi Hendrix outfit
aelder2259 aelder22…
Star in your own music video! Mar 09, 2009
Though I had worked for Paul Allen, the owner of the EMP, and been to Christmas parties held there, I never really explored the museum. While all the collections are interesting, the best parts are upstairs. There, you'll find real instruments that you can play, record your own music, and star in your own music video.

I took my oldest son there when he was visiting and we had a ball. The highlight of our visit to the EMP was making a music video, which we had burned onto a CD. Even if you don't know how to play an instrument, you can still have fun pretending. If you want a good laugh, you can see our video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6vhE28hdIM.
lulusd lulusd
Fun... if you are a music lover Aug 23, 2008
It was a nice place to visit while in seattle, we learned a lot about music history and saw some really cool things, like the 3 story guitar tower. A must for the music lovers [bring comfortable walking shoes]
chivato chivato
Jun 11, 2007
I'd love to say nice things about the EMP but honestly, I cannot. It is by a great measure the ugliest building in the entire city scape. It looks like the blob of horror film fame and some people have described it as the "wreck of the partridge family bus". A rock and roll museum dedicated to the ego of Paul Allen who for some bizarre reason didn't think that Jimmi Hendrix got get his due or conversely had bought a bunch of Jimmi Hendrix junk and decided it'd be a good business idea to charge people to view it. Its hard to take seriously any museum that has entries for Sir Mix A Lot and other Seattle based "legends" (granted Pearl Jam rocks). After wandering through a proper art museum in Buffalo, something Seattle sorely lacks, for half this museum's price, I can't see anything that could possibly justify its unbelievable $20 price tag besides the fact that you get to go into one of the world's ugliest structures. For some this place is great, I guess I'm a bit of a curmudgeon and couldn't really be more negative on it.
hannajax hannajax
Jul 12, 2006
An interactive Music museum for music lovers, newbies, and enthusiasts, it is a destination for those who want to know more, how to, or how it all began.The cost for being a mock rocker, or eyeing costumes of famous musicians and superheroes is $20.00. There is an adjoining Science Fiction Museum which can be visited for an addl. $7.00. The highlight of the Sci-Fi museum is the "Interplanetary Lounge" where one can view famous ET's like the bad queen from the "Aliens" movie.If you have secretly harbored the desire to create or be in a music video, be a pop dj, or play onstage in a rock band, you can do it all here in the interactive "Sound Lab" and "On Stage". There are sound proof rooms here, so you can take your date in there and woo him/her with your impressive singing or jamming on the instruments provided. You can spin records in the DJ Hallway, or you can perform under the lights and fog, infront of screaming fans in "On stage." What makes this so fun is that other visitors in the museum can watch your band live on TV.The rest of the experience takes you through a history of guitars, Michael Jackson's silver lame glove, a Kurt Cobain V-neck sweater, original Batman and Robin costumes, the birth of grunge in the northwest, and the history and evolution of music, accompanied by computer touch-screens and ear phones. One truly gets to experience music in all its forms and variations here, but I believe the exhibits hold more interest for persons that are involved with music on a personal level, i.e. studying music or being a musician. I found myself passing quickly through the guitar gallery and northwest passage, as well as the roots and branches galleries (which cover music history.) To me, the highlights were the interactive, hands on stations where I could experiment and discover that I have no talent for music.
monorail leaves seattle center, wh…
Aerial view of the unique EMP buil…

Related Travel Blogs About Experience Music Project

Dreams Came True in Washington State
Thinking of Washington State, USA bring smiles on my face. Reminds me all memorable places I have visited. Refreshes the memories of time spend with my family. Washington state has great places to v…Experience Music project in Seattle, Glass making musem in Tacoma etc.. Great views of seattle from Space Needle, Seattle observation…
Geek Heaven
So, we are now in Vancouver, B.C.Let me first recap what we spent the last few days doing in Seattle.So, the day after my migraine we decided to go to the Science Fiction museum which has joined forc…Seattle. So, the day after my migraine we decided to go to the Science Fiction museum which has joined forces with the Experience Music Project

Check Seattle Hotel Deals