Ev.-Lutheran parish church Altenberg

  based on 1 review   write a review

Dippoldiswalder Straße 6, Altenberg, Germany
Ev.-Lutheran parish church Altenberg - Church in summer
Ev.-Lutheran parish church Altenberg - 16th century coat-of-arms
Ev.-Lutheran parish church Altenberg - Interior of the church
Ev.-Lutheran parish church Altenberg - Altar and modern stained-glass window
Ev.-Lutheran parish church Altenberg - The church in winter

Ev.-Lutheran parish church Altenberg Reviews

german_eagle german_e…
241 reviews
A church in modern architecture Feb 05, 2017
Altenberg, being one of the rich mining towns in the 16th century, had a beautiful late-Gothic hall-type church. This church was destroyed by a big fire in the 19th century, the new one was consecrated in 1878. In the last days of WWII 80% of the town, including the church, were destroyed in an allied bombing.

Only in 1984, deep in the communist era, plans for a new church were made. Surprisingly the funds came from the mining ministery in Berlin. Consecration of the new parish church was on 3rd Advent, 15 Dec 1991. The architecture is modern, fits very well in the landscape - lots of wood and shingles, typical for the mountains around Altenberg. The coloured stained-glass window behind the altar has the theme "security on the way", designed by local artisan Kerstin Franke-Gneuß.

The bas-relief with the coat-of-arms of the Duchy Saxony on pic 4 is the only relic from the late-Gothic church, a work of Christoph Walter from the court in Dresden. It is on the facade, below the wooden bridge that leads to the entrance.

The church is open during the day.
The church in winter
Altar and modern stained-glass win…
Interior of the church
16th century coat-of-arms
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Check Altenberg Hotel Deals

Check-in:
Check-out:
Guests:
Rooms:
Altenberg
photo by: german_eagle