Ettiquette

Sri Lanka

Ettiquette Reviews

Jo104 Jo104
Ettiquette on Affectionate behaviour in Sri Lanka Feb 05, 2017
The local couples hide behind umbrellas, public displays of affection are taboo and in some areas like Colombo Galle face strip the police patrol the area and break up kissing lovers. In Colombo the girls are more liberated and this is where you can find some great nightclubs.

Watch out for random locals trying to kiss you I have experienced this on occasions and a drunk father of the bride at a wedding lunged at me outside the toilets making my then bf very angry.

It is not uncommon for men to hold hands and its always been bizzare to witness the police taking the hand of my ex and it was not for a bribe, in fact he hated the touchy feely concept.

Sri Lankan's sniff .... yes thats right they take a good old whiff, I am not sure where that comes from mum's checking to see if they have washed? Anyway I can assure you it is an affectionate thing just run with it.
Jo104 says:
Oh yes I got sniffed a lot
Posted on: Feb 11, 2017
Ils1976 says:
didn't know that last thing, but very interesting indeed!
Posted on: Feb 10, 2017
Jo104 Jo104
Ettiquette on Sri Lankan Beaches Feb 05, 2017
Showing too much flesh can be frowned upon on the beach its ok to wear a bikini but when you go back to the restaurant covering up with a sarong is a good idea if you don’t want the waiters to ogle you.

None of Sri Lanka beaches have topless or naked areas the local ladies go swimming fully clothed if that gives you an idea.

When I lived there at the hotel I remember one lady wearing a thong bikini well my poor staff almost dropped the tray of drinks and could not concentrate on service the whole time whilst she paraded up and down the stairs.

Sri Lankan men tend to swim in their underpants a habit I wish would cease but as it stands don't be suprised if this happens.
Ils1976 says:
I only have been a short time in Sri Lanka, but lucky enough I keep myself to the dress code ... no thong for me! :D
Posted on: Feb 10, 2017