Etnografiska Museet

34 Djurgårdsbrunnsvägen, Stockholm, Sweden

Etnografiska Museet Stockholm Reviews

ilserita ilserita
National Museum of Ethnography Jul 06, 2012
As I was in Stockholm today, I decided to visit the Museum of Etnography. It is situated within walking distance of the centre of Stockholm, but I decided to hire a bike.

The Museum of Ethnography focuses on non-European cultures. It has some permanent exhibitions as: the First Nations of North America, the Creativity of Man, Bringing the World back Home and Japan - image and self image. Moreover they have temporary exhibitions. Last time I visited the museum they had a temporary exhibition telling about Haitian Vodou, the West-African/Caribbean religion. What interested me today was their temporary exhibition telling about Afghanistan and its unbelievable treasures and fascinating history.

One interesting thing I learned today at the exhibition about Afghanistan, was about the seven fearless key holders, who from 1980 pledged their lives to hide the gold and cultural treasures from plunderers. If it hadn't been for them, all these objects could have been lost forever in war and destruction.

Among the objects, I liked the old ivory figurines most of all.

The Afghanistan exhibition is going on until 25. March 2012

There is also a shop in the museum.

Admission 120 SEK. Free for children up to 18

Monday - Friday 10 am - 5 pm

Saturday - Sunday 11 am - 5 pm

Wednesday nights open until 8 pm.

Djurgårdsbrunnsvägen 34, Stockholm

Bus 69 to Museiparken.
The Museum of Ethnographic, Stockh…
The Japanese guardian lions outsid…
A statue in the Museum Park
ilserita says:
Hi Sarah! I wrote this review in January, but it popped up again when I included it to my Stockholm blog. At this moment they have an exhibition going on about the Mekong river. It sounds very interesting again. Maybe I should pay this museum a visit one more time! :)

...and, Sarah, please join us to the Haiti adventure!! It would be really nice to make it happen!! The Haitian culture seems very enchanting!!

I add a video-clip from 2011 about the Haitian exhibition in the Museum of Etnography here, because I think the video was quite nice:)

sarahsan says:
Oh, one question Ilse! Until when is the Afghanistan exhibition on? 25th March 2012 was 4 months ago! :)
sarahsan says:
Ilse and Carlos, include me in your excursion to Haiti please. Sounds like a great adventure. When I was in West Africa last year they stressed very much the fact that real voodoo in Africa is always something good. They call for the spirits to protect their loved once and they put up fetishes outside their houses of the same reason. It was Papa Doc who brought Voodoo to Haiti to use it to wish evil things.

Check Stockholm Hotel Deals