Esplanada Hotel

Dili, East Timor
Esplanada Hotel - Perfect for a tropical afternoon
Esplanada Hotel - The restaurant doubles as a bar and is very popular on weekends for lunch or coffee
Esplanada Hotel - Outside my room overlooking the pool
Esplanada Hotel - Nicely decorated.  King size bed.
Esplanada Hotel - Basic shower
Esplanada Hotel - Basic basin
Esplanada Hotel - Esplanada frontage from the beach across the road

Esplanada Hotel Dili Reviews

goezi goezi
Room with a view Jun 21, 2009
Perhaps because we are a corporate group we are being very well looked after but I think this place has a reputation for be the third best Hotel in Dili so I'm guessing that makes it good for everyone, not just the 15 of us who expect to be housed here for the next couple of years.

The hotel has about 35 rooms with a rate of about US$110 per night. That's expensive when you compare it to Bali but the prices here in Dill are inflated due to the UN cash being spent in the sity.

Each room is serviced daily by the very efficient housekeeping staff. Mine has a king sized bed, en suite, fridge and tea making facilities, plus a tv that I haven't yet bothered to turn on.

My air conditioner hums away every night to remind me that somewhere else rain might be falling.

Not here though. Each morning I get up and dressed, walk past the salt water pool and go up to the open air restaurant for breakfast and to enjoy the spectacular view out over the sea towards Atauro Island.

I have enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner here for a week now and I still haven't gone through the whole menu. If I do then I can start making up my own dishes and the chef will create it for me without hesitation as long as he has the ingredients.

The waiting staff are superb and dining is indeed a pleasure. It's no wonder the place is busy on weekends.

Meals range from US$7 - US$13 and the menu has a good selection of the three usual courses; Entree, Main and Deserts.

If the set menu doesn't excite then there are always some interesting dishes on the Specials Board and that changes each week.

The Hotel Esplanada Restaurant doubles as a bar and often turns into a nightclub when it hosts parties for the usual events like birthdays or Contingent socials that UN staff may decide to have.

My room is tucked away at the rear of the complex so I don't hear any of the music which sometimes continues until 1am.

On the whole I can see why NZ has put us here since 2006 and I expect the Kiwis will be here for another 3 years at least.

Don't expect Dili to come down in price until the UN departs.
Esplanada frontage from the beach …
Perfect for a tropical afternoon
Outside my room overlooking the po…
The usual collection of facilities

Related Travel Blogs About Esplanada Hotel

A home at last
…and here endeth the first month.   That also means a drop in my mission subsistence allowance as well.  I guess I’ll have to be more careful with my cash now.  Oh that’…Esplanada Hotel in Dili with the bulk of the NZ Police contingent because I got the job of mentoring the PNTL…
What next???
As our 10 days Induction Training draw to a close I've already been told two places that I may be posted.  The first was suggested by my Contingent Commander (Mike) but he made it clear that …Dili where living is breezy at the Esplanada Hotel.   On the 5th day from my arrival Mike came to me with…
End of the first week
Well,  what can I say.  This adventure is starting out just as exciting as I expected it would be.  I'm loving it here in Dili and I haven't even started working yet, or perhaps that's…Hotel.  The Esplanada is the home of the Kiwi contingent based in Dili.  We have staff scattered all over…
Esplanada Hotel Map