Erzincanlı Ali Baba

Istanbul, Turkey

Erzincanlı Ali Baba Istanbul Reviews

Elizabeta_Ionescu Elizabet…
I highly recommend it Jul 18, 2011
Prices are high but the food is real good. And if you eat there you must eat baklava. I highly recommend Erzincanlı Ali Baba to anyone who is visiting Istanbul.It was a wonderful stay in the center of old city, Istanbul.
el_wray el_wray
... the "historical" restaurant with home-style Turkish food ... Jul 25, 2010
Dear Travbuddies,

First of all, I need to say that our visitors in İstanbul usually thought that Turkish cuisine is just based on kebaps and similar grills. Actually it is NOT like that. Turkish cuisine is consist of so many different style of food from regional base of Anatolia, Thrace and also Middle East and Balkans which are the territories of Ottoman expansion.

Some of my friends told me something like "Hey buddy, we just fed up with eating kebaps, doner and those kinda things. Don't you have anything that we can eat by a spoon?". Of course, we have. =)

The restaurant I recommend for the visitors is a very good restaurant on a very kool and easy to find location: Erzincanlı Ali Baba.

When you visit the Süleymaniye Mosque (which was named after the Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent), you can see the restaurants opposite of the mosque. All of those has a specialty: Beans. It's a very common dish in Turkish cuisine.

Moreover, this restaurant I recommend also serves the other kind of home style aspects of the large Turkish cuisine. If you wanna see what do they have at the moment, just go inside and pick the ones you like. Price is very cheap for everything, you can get a full meal max. 5-6 Eu per person.

So, if you wanna try something local & home-made, then this is the place you need to visit. Bon appetit!
... the perfect couple =) ...
montecarlostar says:
Thanks a lot for the recommendation!
el_wray says:
Yes Ian, you're right! You can see a lot of similarities between western Turkey and Greece, also South-Eastern Turkey and Middle Eastern countries like Syria, Lebanon etc.

Btw, I'm glad you like the "other" food ;)
Dr_Seuss says:
One of the best meals I ever had was in Turkey, in the hotel we were staying at in Gumbet. When we were going out in the morning they had the lamb already on the spit, and must have cooked it all day, as it was fantastic for dinner that night. A lot of Turkish influence on the cooking in Rhodes and Kos as well, very different from other parts of Greece.

Check Istanbul Hotel Deals