Ernest Hemingway's Birth House

339 N. Oak Park Avenue, Oak Park, IL, USA

Ernest Hemingway's Birth House Oak Park Reviews

pinchora pinchora
Ernest Hemingway's birth home museum Mar 21, 2007
So as I was trying to find Frank Lloyd Wright's house I stumbled upon Ernest Hemingway's house. There was a nice old lady going into the house and she saw me taking a photo on the outside. She told me about the tours and was very , very sweet. I told her I'd be back after FLW's because of their tour times.

I came back for the last tour and the women were just so esctatic that I was there... you can tell that it gets neglected... doesn't anybody appriciate american classic literature history? I was in a group with another couple who were just so friendly. This was the most laid back tour I've ever been on... it didn't seem scripted... it seemed these women had a passion for this history and you could take pictures inside! I was excited about that!

We walked into the sitting room which was equipped with alot of victorian style furniture and and upright piano with ivory keys. The ladies told me that everything in the house was donated and most of it wasn't the originals. They even got back an old cast iron stove!

The living room/parlor has the original curtains that hung on the wall and the white plaster cornice at the ceiling is original to the home 100 years ago.

The one thing that facinated me the most was the light fixtures. On them were lights that angled up and some down... the ones that are down are newer built just for electric lights. The ones angled up were the originals that had gas flowing through to make the light. Also in the house is a lot of photo's of Hemingway and his family!

If you have a passion for american history go to this museum to see the passion of the people who work there... it is awe inspiring!

Check Oak Park Hotel Deals