Erfurter Weihnachtsmarkt

34 Domplatz, Erfurt, Germany

Erfurter Weihnachtsmarkt Reviews

missandrea81 missandr…
Wow! Most scenic Christmas market with the best sausage of Germany Dec 18, 2012
Erfurt Christmas market is special. The backdrop of this market including the city "Dom" (cathedral), the ferris wheel, and the giant Christmas pyramid are enough to take your breath away. The view from the wheel is great!

The market itself stretches throughout the whole pedestrian are of Erfurt's city center and even has a small medieval section which is right by the "Kraemerbruecke".

The most notable things about this market are, as mentioned before the backdrop, but also the cuisine. I love the original Thuringer Bratwurst. You'll never taste a better sausage sandwich in your life. This is coming from a Bavarian person, and we take pride in our stuff. Highest praise if you ask me. lol

Also taste is the Gluehwein sold here. They even offer the white variety, which is sometimes hard to find in other markets. The German eggnog was not my thing but you might like it. It is served warm with a dollop of whipped cream.

I've been to Erfurt many times now, but it has never been quite as magical as during Christmas season.

We took an hour long ride through the city in a nostalgic street car as well. We were served with Christmas cookies and more Gluehwein, of course. This service is also only offered during Christmas time. Go to the tourist info located at the main train station for times and tickets.
Look at that backdrop!
The cathedral of Erfurt, Christmas…
Ferris Wheel
View from the Ferris Wheel
missandrea81 says:
Jutta, you should really at least stop in Erfurt. It's a terrific market. I have dreams about those sausages. lol I took a vacuum sealed package with me and we enjoyed them again on Christmas eve in Bavaria.

Thanks, Ramit!
aloneinthecrowd says:
Congrats on your featured review, Andrea :) Very nice pictures :) I think we'll skip Leipzig this year and we'll go to Erfurt instead ;)
You're so right about the thuringian sausage. They never taste better than there :D
ramit says:
Congratulations on the feature Andrea ! :)

Check Erfurt Hotel Deals