Erbil, Kurdistan-Iraq

Erbil, Iraq

Erbil, Kurdistan-Iraq Reviews

lilikoiLost lilikoiL…
Erbil, Kurdistan-Iraq Jun 14, 2015
I lived and worked in Erbil for a couple months. I think people have a lot of preconceived notions about the middle east and the culture. I am troubled when I hear people that have never been to the middle east talk about it in a very negative way. I am posting this review just so people would have a better idea of what it is really like over there.

While I was there, the Iraqi people I worked with were very nice to me. They invited me places, were kind to me and were concerned about my health and well-being. I have been living back in the US for a year and a half and no one from work has ever invited me to do anything outside of work.

While there were some issues with infrastructure, in Erbil many modern buildings were being erected. I wish I had bothered to take pictures of them. It was the hope of many investors to make Erbil the next Dubai.

I didn't have to wear a headscarf, but I did when visiting the mosque out of respect for the people.

There were some issues like lack of sidewalks or piles of stuff on the sidewalk, not being able to work out at the gym during certain hours because I am female, some places have menus only in Arabic with no pictures, litter, dusty streets, scary traffic intersections with no traffic signals, no street signs.

I loved the citadel area. The citadel, while 6,000 years old, looks fairly new as I am told whenever something falls down, they rebuild it using the same 6,000 year old stones. It was continuously inhabited for 6,000 years until recently when they booted the locals out so they could restore the citadel.

The city parks were lovely and well maintained. Many modern roads were being put in which unfortunately made the area a bit dusty at times. There was difficulty with landscaping as I think they need to use native plants rather than trying to have palm trees that die from the cold.

I am hoping the Kurds can expel the people that are doing the bombings so they can get back to the business of making Erbil the next Dubai.
Heading toward the citadel we pass…

Check Erbil Hotel Deals