Equinox Swissotel The Stamford Singapore

2 Stamford Road

Equinox Swissotel The Stamford Singapore Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Hotel Luxury Dining - u mainly pay for the view Dec 11, 2011
This is actually tied up with my hotel review of Swissotel Stamford.

Located at 70th floor of the Swissotel. Requirements to dine here mainly is as follows:

a) money (few hundred at least)/ credit card;

b) formal dressing. Men can wear jeans but with a shirt. Not T-shirt;

c) booking is advisable as the Filipino lady manning the entrance is quite a bitch. If they had sacked her by now then maybe it would be different.

I have heard of this fancy restaurant for years but never did check it out until I was staying at the hotel. This place is known to be pretty expensive.

We had to take the lift from the main hotel lobby (ground floor). We cant take the lift from our room at 55th floor! There was this Filipino lady manning this entrance, one can go to the hotel bar or Equinox Restaurant from this lift. It was 7.30 p.m. on a Wednesday evening, we said we wanted to have dinner at the restaurant. In her heavy accented (halting) English, she asked whether we had reservations - I said no. She made a face and asked whether we are going to order at least one main course which I thought was pretty stupid. So my boyfriend said Yes of course we will be having 2 main course. She asked again "Are you sure?" Each main course starts from about $48.

I remembered I was whispering to my boyfriend ("WTF!") So I told her, "We are hotel guests here and we are going to have dinner, I dont think a reservation is very necessary since this is a Wednesday evening." I told her my room number.(We were properly dressed too)

She actually wanted to call and checked whether we did stay in the hotel. I think this was pretty uncalled for not to mention rude. If I can afford to stay in this hotel I damn well can afford the food! She eventually didnt when I showed her the hotel room card.

It was only after that, her facial expression change and started to be all welcoming (I seriously dont know whats her problem, if shes been having a bad day its seriously not my fault).

Ok we took the lift up to the restaurant. We were welcomed by a waiter at the door. Ok its definitely NOT crowded.

So we ordered a set of starters to share, 2 main courses and 2 deserts (creme brulee!!), a bottle of French white wine. I was impressed that they have a whole menu set solely for drinking water!

They served a mix of European and Asian food. Thus the european dish is infused with asian produce. Fusion food essentially. I never did like fusion food - i get an allergic reaction!! But my white miso cod with crushed potato and beans was pretty alright though it took quite a while before I got my main course.

The decor is mainly contemporary with lots of Chinese mix. I find our dining table for 2 a tad small since theres so many cutlery and plates.

I think we mainly paid for the view that this restaurant has to offer. U get a panaromic view of the city at nite time which was nice (but since we are staying at the hotel, we can get it from our room balcony too!). All the lights from the buildings and roads.

I did not take any pictures of the food, I think the young Chinese couple seated at the next table had done that. They keep snapping pictures of their food and quite loud about it which I find quite irritating - They were sharing 1 main course + 1 desert.

I think the service standard of the restaurant needs improvement, which is a known thing from the general annual survey about the service standard of the service staff in Singapore. At the same time its also difficult to assess the service standard of the people serving as they are mostly foreign workers now.

Our bill came up to close to $400.00.

So this would not be my Ultimate Favourite Fine Dining restaurant in Singapore.
Equinox Swissotel The Stamford Singapore Map