Endless possibilities in San Francisco

San Francisco, California

Endless possibilities in San Francisco Reviews

m49erfan m49erfan
Jul 10, 2007
As many of you can probably guess by now, San Francisco is my ultimate, all time, no comparison, favorite city on the planet and this will never change. It is a city that embodies the values that are the most important to me and it is a city that, at the worst moment of my life, cheered me up when I didn't want to be around anyone. That being said, I can tell you about all the amazing things to do in San Francisco, my city.

My favorites are the Asian Art Museum and the MOMA. Here is a link to the Asian Art Museum: http://www.asianart.org/ which gives a lot of good information. I love this museum because not only does it tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about art in Asia, it is also maginifently curated. It is located in the Civic Center, right by UN Plaza. I'm 99% positive they give student discounts. The MOMA is in a very neat building close to the Financial District in SO-MA (South of Market). There's the link: http://www.sfmoma.org/. I haven't been to this musuem in a long time and I know their exhibits change. But if you're into modern art, I suggest going here.

San Francisco has some of the best shopping in the world. I think it's just as good as New York, if not better, because everything you want is in one little district that you don't have to keep jumping in cabs to get to the next spot. I'm not a huge spender so I like the Banana Republic Store on Grant Ave in Union Square, which is the largest I've ever seen. I think their corporate headquarters are in SF so it might be the biggest in the country. Don't know. Either way, there are two levels, a concierge and every item of clothing imagineable PLUS an entire room is always reserved for sale items (as in a full room, not just a rack)! Along those lines is the Nordstrom Mall on Market Street and you'll find all the normal mall stores like Abercrombie, JCREW, Lucky and a million others. If you have more cash in your pocket, the Neiman Marcus in Union Square is out of this world. It's like 5 levels or something and they do all the normal Neiman Marcus stuff, like champagne, hors d'voures, etc. There's of course a Tiffany's (which I hate, but never mind) Kate Spade, Coach, Burberry, and other high end stores that I won't get into. And I think a fun thing to do while shopping in Union Square is to stop for a bite to eat at the Cheesecake factory on top of Macy's and look out over Union Square. At the end of your shopping day, go to the Westin St. Francis (also in Union Square)for one cocktail. After that, walk to where a cable car will pick you up and ride it to Fisherman's Wharf to have a clam strip dinner.

SF is known for its food. This is because I'm not the only one who thinks SF is the best place on earth so tons of talented chefs come from all over the world to open fabulous restaurants and live the perfect life in the most amazing city (okay, I'm biased). Trattoria Contadina is my favorite Italian restaurant ever! Here is the link: http://www.trattoriacontadina.com/. A couple years ago, my good friend and I were having an Irish Coffee at Buena Vista Cafe at Fisherman's Wharf (which is also an absolute must because those Irish Coffees are the best ever) and we started talking to this bar tender who must have been in his 70s. We noticed that the paintings on the wall of the Buena Vista looked exactly like him so we asked him if that was him. Well, it was, and he told us he had been living in SF for 50 years or so. (See! Can't leave it!) My friend wanted Italian food so she asked him what Italian restaurant he could recommend and he pointed us in the direction of Trattoria Contadina saying it's the best in the world. It is soooo good! They have a huge selection of fine Italian and California wines. The pasta dishes are so fresh and mouthwatering, they have celebrities who go back all the time. You cannot miss this place. Get the clam linguini!

I already mentioned Belden Place in one of my old reviews. It's great. There are also a million sushi restaurants and even Japanese tourists say are the best. Seafood in Fisherman's Wharf is fresh and delicious. The Mission District has the best Mexican Food possible (and I lived in Mexico!). Some of the spiciest salsas I've ever tasted and freshest ingrediants too.

I'm not a music person, but the opera is a pretty good experience. It's seasonal, though so you might not be able to go. Also a lot of concerts take place in San Francisco. I would suggest going to sfgate.com to find bands if you want. Their is always someone touring in the area (usually).

I really like hanging out in the Marina to get a casual drink or to go out with friends. It's a young laid back crowd in this area and you can either get dressed up or you can go very casual. I really like Eastside West on Fillmore street. The drinks are good and somewhat reasonable and if you want a quick burger, they can whip one up no problem. If you're into raw oysters, they have a really good raw bar. Bar None is also a really good place to go grab a beer and enjoy a casual atmosphere. Bar None is on Union Street.

If you want to have a real night out, I suggest North Beach on Broadway Street or Columbus Ave. Both have a huge strip of clubs and bars, none pretentious and easily accessible. (SF doesn't pull that phoney exclusive bull that LA does.)

Phunky SF:

I love Haight Ashbury. If you're into a bit of a hippy scene (or even if you're not) check it out! It's colorful, interesting, and famous.

49ers baby!! I love Candlestick Park and I love my niners. American football will not let you down with entertainment. Check it out whether you're a fan or not.

Giants: Best stadium on earth! Ultra modern, clean, comfortable. And the best food, I'm not kidding! Not just crappy hotdogs, like at Dodger's Stadium in LA, but real food, like Sushi (which is pretty decent) tacos (I can't live without eating these tacos when I'm in SF), pizza (the good kind, not microwaveable), and the best garlic fries from Gillmore.

Goldengate park:

I love this park so much. It's my version of heaven. Take a picnic lunch (and a bottle of wine, but be discrete) and enjoy the sun! This is also an excellent park for running because the scenery is so pleasant.

Haven't done it yet, but I'm going to when I go this September. I have taken a boat tour past it and the views are amazing.

Goldengate bridge:

It's been listed as a great Wonder of the World (in one of the millions of 7 wonders lists) and I understand why. I would suggest getting on a mountain bike and biking up to the mountains just above it to look out over the city.

Okay, not SF, but you can appreciate how beautiful my city is by going to this peaceful little town and staring out over the bay at the wonder that is San Fran. Do it whenever: during the day or at night to see the lights, but make sure it's clear (which isn't THAT rare).

There are about a zillion other things to do that I'll probably remember later and think, damn, I should have mentioned that. But unless you move there (which you'll want to) you can't do it all. I hope I've mentioned the most interesting memorable things to do and I hope you leave with as much appreciation for my city as most people do.

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals