Enchanted Rock

16710 Ranch Rd 965, Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Enchanted Rock Fredericksburg Reviews

misssean misssean
Enchanted Rock, beautiful views Nov 22, 2013
Off in central/west Texas. Loved going here. The rock is massive and stretches over a wide area. You could definitely spend lots of hours here. Hiking to the top was very rewarding and the view was amazing. Lots of pictures to be taken and areas to be explored. Nice place to just relax on or have a picnic on, or what have you. I would love to come camping here soon.

I recommend it! I still have yet to explore the whole area!

Pro tip: take it slow on your way up to the top, or you might have cardiac arrest on the way there. Me and my boyfriend tried to power walk it non stop all the way up and were gasping for breath half way through and had to rest, haha. Bring water! And bring pets too. It's fun for the whole family. :)
alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Another big rock! Mar 14, 2005
If you want to walk (or climb) a big rock and are heading to central Texas, Enchanted Rock is a great stop for you! Similar to Stone Mountain near Atlanta, Georgia, Enchanted Rock is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome, that rises 425 feet above ground, 1825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres. It is the second largest batholith (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States after Stone Mountain.

We stopped early in the morning to avoid the heat and also because the parking lot often fills up by 11 am! The climb wasn't too difficult, but make sure to bring water! The views were nice, but I was more impressed with the geological features I was seeing: the exfoliation blocks (curved rocks breaking off the surface and sliding down the mountain), rock donuts, the granite and the rock climbers.

Yep, you can do technical rock climbing out here. Cool! They also have camping sites, all are walk ins. There is also a 4 mile trail that circles the bottom of Enchanted Rock as well as an interpretive visitor center and store. The entrance fee was about $6.
The start of the trail up Enchante…
I'm high in the sky!
Playing in a hole
Sitting in a rock donut
jennjeff1 says:
I've been to Fredericksburg, TX several times but have not seen or climbed this rock! ~Jeff
Posted on: Jul 17, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Enchanted Rock

enchanted rock
what was I saying in the previous entry about long trails?  diregard that for this entry! Well, what can I say about enchanted rock?  It's a BIG rock!  Really I've been racking my bra…Enchanted rock is about 15 miles or so outside of Fredericksburg, TX.  If climbing a big rock is not your…
Enchanted Rock
I ventured into the hill country to Enchanted Rock.  I didn't stay too long, but I did climb to the top.  Up there, it was incredibly windy.  I thought I might be blown away, so I retr…I ventured into the hill country to Enchanted Rock.  I didn't stay too long, but I did climb…

Check Fredericksburg Hotel Deals