Emirates' Business Class Lounge and Skywards Frequent Flyer

Emirates' Business Class Lounge and Skywards Frequent Flyer Dubai Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Makes your transit a memorable interlude Nov 19, 2008
EMIRATES' NEW BUSINESS CLASS LOUNGE IN DUBAI

I'm not fortunate enough to be an airline lounge lizard so I can't give many comparisons. Regardless, I think Emirates' new Business Class Lounge in Terminal 3 of Dubai airport is pretty amazing. I qualify for entry because of a Silver status in their generous Skywards frequent flyer programme (see below).

It stretches a substantial length of the terminal and is located somewhat in the loft of the building. Despite the size, it didn't have a big barn feel ... the many seating areas are partitioned and done in different styles. There are general open seating areas in clusters, plus plenty of two-some areas too.

There were also several buffets, bars and dining halls through the length of the lounge, plus one main one offering a broader range of food. Like another lounge I've used in Dubai, they serve hot time. This is unlike some lounges I've been to, giving only snacks and finger food.

At each bar is a friendly bar attendant who will pour you a soft drink, juice, French wine and Veuve Clicquot. One impressive aspect is that the waiters will offer you a drink while combing through the lounge or when collecting your empty glass. Self-service is optional!

Five times a day, the prayers are piped in through the PA as a reminder so (if applicable) you can fulfil your obligations in the prayer room.

The bathrooms were clean ... sometimes with an attendant handing you proper cloth handtowel. The showers were good too with a couple of extra jets for the body ... this seemed to be attended by someone as well, giving you a nicely laundered pacakge of towel and bath mat.

Naturally Wifi is free and so are the desktop computers in a dedicated room. There are also some X-box type gaming setups (with multi-screens).

My criticism of the previous lounge is that there wasn't enough room during peak periods but this seems to be resolved now. Provided I retain my eligibility to enter the lounge, I can see myself flying with Emirates whenever possible ... it makes an arduous transit into a pleasurable and memorable interlude.

EMIRATES' FREQUENT FLYER "SKYWARDS"

Emirates' frequent flyer programme "Skywards" is one of the more (most?) generous around. I flew from Auckland to Europe return on a discounted fare and that qualified me for Silver status, bringing benefits such as:

- lounge access in Dubai (and Sri Lanka at that time).

- additional baggage allowance

- personal acknowledgement by crew on board

- earning 25% more miles (Silver bonus)

With other airlines I'd have to buy more than two non bargain basement type fares in order to qualify for a similar status.

Further, with their recent Double Miles promotion (combined with the Silver 25% bonus and Online Booking bonus of 30%), my trip earned earn enough miles for a trip of similar value!!! Unreal ... so I'll save it for a Singapore trip maybe.
There are a few recliners around; …
One of the many sitting areas in d…
One of the many sitting areas in d…
One of the dining areas.
mcphistino says:
I'll be there :-)
Posted on: Sep 14, 2011
Africancrab says:
Impressive review, when I travelled through I did not chance to go there. Great review
Posted on: Nov 27, 2008