Emerald Bay SP

Emerald Bay, California

Compare South Lake Tahoe Hotel Rates (10.3km away)

Emerald Bay SP Reviews

KKell84 KKell84
Beautiful Lake Tahoe at its best! Jun 17, 2009
Every summer I want to go camping but I find that halfway through the season I have not managed to get into the great outdoors. I couldn't get much time off of work so I decided to spend a short weekend in Lake Tahoe. To my amazement there was a Saturday night vacant at Emerald Bay SP - something that is unheard of during the summer - and we immediately snatched it up.

We only stayed for a single night but the location and camp ground impressed us very much. We stayed in camp site number 58. Not a bad sight at all, but if you are able to get sights 70, 69, 67, 68 had views of the bay below through the trees. The camp site is very well maintained, the toilets are flush and there are showers available (bring your quarters!). This is bear country and the park rangers let you know! Each site has bear proof containers and all food not beaning consumed or prepared must be locked up or else there is a $1,000 fine. I was sure to stay in compliance, as I did not want to run into Yogi bear. Yikes.

From the loop we stayed in there was an easily accessible trail down to the Bay (not a short walk to the water however) with a small swimming beach. There is another trail down to the bay from the other campsite, but we didn't get to try out that trail. On the other side of bay there is the Vikingsholm Trail which leads to the famous Scandinavian castle. It is another very long walk down to the bay on this trail. Its not too difficult for someone who is moderately fit, the walk down is all downhill but the walk up - very steep. Not difficult for someone moderately in shape but for the elderly, or those not in shape it is difficult.

All in all recommended highly, the views are spectacular!
View of Emerald Bay from atop Emer…
dreamflyer says:
Nice blog, I was there last weekend and took several pictures. Check my Lake Tahoe blog :)
Posted on: Jun 17, 2009

Compare South Lake Tahoe Hotel Rates (10.3km away)

Emerald Bay SP Map