Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam

83/1 Wireless Road, Bangkok, Thailand

Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Bangkok Reviews

orangetree80 orangetr…
Ask for a Receipt!!! Feb 13, 2010
I learned the hard way when I went to pick up my passport from the Vietnamese Embassy that one needs a receipt in order to do so. This receipt is supposed to be given to you once you've turned in your application, passport, photo, and visa fee.

When my friend and I went to turn our application in, the friendly lady behind the window didn't give us anything. My friend asked again if there was anything else we needed, and the lady said no. I go back three days later to pick up our passports and was greeted by the same lady, only she wasn't as friendly as before. She told me that I needed a receipt. When I told her that I never got one, she laughed in my face and said "that's impossible". I was then told to get out of the way. She should definitely work in Customer Relations...

It turns out that she either forgot to issue my friend and I receipts for our visas, or she had something against us from the start. When I spoke to her boss, who was only a little more sympathetic, he told me to complete a form indicating that I had received my passport. I went back to "friendly lady" and and explained my situation again, this time with her boss standing behind her, and she rudely said, "OK! You need to fill out this form first to get your passport."

I didn't understand what was going on the whole time. I don't know if she remembered me and remembered that she didn't give me a receipt and was thus being rude to me in order to compensate for it. Whatever the reason may be, everything she said to me didn't make sense.

All of the employees working there made me feel like it was my fault for not getting a receipt. I don't see how it was since my friend had asked twice if we needed anything (ie a receipt) and we were told we didn't. It makes sense to me that one would need it in order to receive their passport, but I don't think applicants should have to ask for one if it's standard procedure to require one for pick-up (when my friend came by later she was told by "friendly lady" that the reason why she didn't issue us one was because we didn't ask for it. BULLSHIT.)

So, before you leave that office, make sure to ask for a receipt so that you won't have to argue w/ the entire staff and be called a liar. It will definitely save you 2 hours of your precious time and theirs. And, you won't end up looking like a stereotypical tourist causing a ruckus in public. :)
jethanad says:
Hi TB

that was great and thank you for sharing
Posted on: Feb 13, 2010