Ellis Island

Ellis Island - old German currency

Ellis Island New York Reviews

SimonaBasso SimonaBa…
Ellis island Apr 14, 2011
Ellis Island was the gateway for millions of immigrants to the United States as the site of the nation's busiest immigrant inspection station.

Today the Ellis Island Immigration Museum is part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument and is one of the country's most popular historic sites.The museum is located in the Main Building of the former immigration station complex and tells the moving tales of the 12 million immigrants who entered America throug it.

There is a section called "The American Family Immigration History Center" that is an exciting interactive area at the Ellis Island Immigration Museum where you can access the passenger records of the ships, and probably find the record of part of your family.

Ellis Island with the Statue of Liberty are one of the country's most important historic sites, and so heavily visited. So you have to plan this visit carefully to make it more enjoyable.

Statue Cruises provides ferry transportation to Ellis Island from Battery Park in New York from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily.
HuBison HuBison
This place has something for the inner history buff Jun 09, 2010
If you plan in advance and get your ticket to the Statue of Liberty, you continue onto Ellis Island (see my review of the Statue of Liberty).

This place was wonderfully redone, you enter into a large open hall and immediately get a sense of what new arrivals onto Ellis Island must have felt like after being on a Trans-Atlantic boat for 2 or 3 months. There are a few interactive things on the 1st floor and although I didn't do it, it looks like you can put your name into a computer that searches a database of names that passed through Ellis Island! The history of families, what they brought, how they were treated, who was able to continue on and who were detained is very interesting.

The hospitals used for detained travelers is across the water way and has not been fixed and maybe it shouldn't be; the photgraphs upstairs reveal an eerie presentation of the building. One of the things that was hard about touring the Main Hall is ensuring you visit ecah corner and exhibit, so you might want to sign up for a tour or a movie in the theater. There is soooo much interesting stuff to learn, not as much for kids under 10 or those who can't read, but it's a nitfy place.

Don't buy food there unless you have to, your sugar is dropping, or you are traveling with kids who have to eat NOW! You'd be better off waiting till you get back to the city to buy food at a third of what it will cost on Ellis Island. But visit the book store and be sure to snag something out of there. There are picture books, items for kids, and lots of interesting reads.
missandrea81 missandr…
A trip to the past Mar 29, 2007
If you are going to Statue of Liberty you should also check out Ellis Island. You don't have to get an extra ticket. In my opinion there is lots more to see on Ellis Island then Liberty Island. Well, ok, Lady Liberty is impressive but so is the history of this place. As an immigrant myself I could feel the importance of this place as soon as I stepped of the ferry. Even when standing outside you can just imagine what kind of emotions had to go through the immigrants that came through here in the past. I mean, coming to the New World on a ship and the first thing that greets you is the Statue of Liberty?! It sent shivers down my spine when I stepped on this island.

You can take a tour of the museum going the exact same way that the immigrants had to go through. Bath house, doctor's offices, record room, etc. There's of course also a gift shop.

You can pay to look up the records of your relatives arriving at the island. There are also many original documents, posters, pictures on exhibit here! Enjoy!
Outside the main building
Left over luggage from the past
The main hall
Poster for immigrants in German an…

Related Travel Blogs About Ellis Island

Day trip to Angel Island and Alcatraz
We took a day tour with Francis, travbuddy from Ireland, to Angel Island and Alcatraz for the day. We met at Pier 33 about 9am for the 9:40am combined tour, since Alcatraz only tours were all sold ou…Ellis Island new New York City. They had old hospital, barracks, and gun battery here, but the soldiers here never…
God bless our GPS
As we stepped off the ferry in Dieppe, I dare say that our feelings must have been similar to those of our ancestors who landed those many years ago at Ellis Island in N…Ellis Island in New York.   We were weary from our travels and stepping into a new world…
the second and almost our last day in New York
Wednesday May 6   When I opened the door, there were newspapers lying on the floor, just in front of our door. Nice, to have something to read in the morning. First I collected the breakfast i…Ellis Island. This is the island where the immigrants were registered. You can visit this island as well. We choose to go to New York

Check New York Hotel Deals