Ella village restaurant

+94 572228685

Ella village restaurant Reviews

Jo104 Jo104
Best rice and curry in Ella Nov 01, 2012
I visited this small restaurant on a stormy evening and was well pleased I did what a warm welcome I received from the owner who is also the cook. It is a small family run business and the owner is also the cook, everything is freshly prepared.

A good rice & curry takes a bit of time to prepare and it is a good idea to place your order an hour or so in advance for when you wish to eat, but if you just turn up you will still be able to enjoy a delicious meal.

The rice & potato comes wrapped in a banana leaf and then the other dishes in little separate bowls. I asked specially for the famous garlic curry and then also chicken curry. It was accompanied by aubergine, pappadum, plantain (banana), pol sambal, beans and dahl with a mango chutney.

All the dishes were excellent and as it was a quiet evening I invited Mr Nadun to sit with me and we had a great chat. He also has 4 rooms a stone throw away from the restaurant called Aurora Bungolow (review added separately).

I was so full I never got to try the banana and honey fritters other guests rave about so if you do go remember to order these and make me jealous!
planxty says:
I can cinfirm what Jo says, the rice and curry here is superb, especially the garlic one as mentioned which is not nearly as overpowering as it might sound.
Posted on: Mar 26, 2017