Elkes Inner City Lodge

1800 808 365
Elkes Inner City Lodge - Elkes entrance off Mitchell St
Elkes Inner City Lodge - Nice shady pool
Elkes Inner City Lodge - BBQ area where we spent most evenings chatting
Elkes Inner City Lodge - Reception and one of several areas for sitting with friends

Check Darwin Hotel Deals

Elkes Inner City Lodge Darwin Reviews

goezi goezi
Cheap bed in Darwin Mar 05, 2010
Elkes Backpackers is an inexpensive hostel within walking distance from Mitchell Street in Darwin. It’s perhaps a little far too walk in the heat of the Darwin wet season but I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem from April-October, during the cooler dry season.

It has a great pool but the rest of the place is a bit run down and could do with a make-over but I guess that would cause a rise in the price of a bed.

I walked into Elkes and asked if they had room for a skinny bloke. They put me in a dorm room which had only one of the 4 beds occupied. My room mate was a young German guy who spent most of his time on his bed watching tv cartoons like “Family Guy” and “The Simpsons”.

On the whole Elkes was populated by long term resident travellers. Predominantly Germans (apparently there are 4 million Germans on tourist visas in Australia right now) but a few other Europeans and a couple of locals.

Each evening was spent at the large dinner table beside the barbeque area where everyone would smoke and drink and talk about how little money they had and if they didn’t score a job soon they’d have to go home. I enjoyed the company of some of the backpackers but after 4 nights I was tired of the routine of the long term guests. This was one of the reasons I decided not to stay in Elkes on my return trip.
Elkes entrance off Mitchell St
Nice shady pool
BBQ area where we spent most eveni…
Reception and one of several areas…

Check Darwin Hotel Deals