Elizir

www.elizir.com - 0524 47 21 03

Elizir Essaouira Reviews

jhoc jhoc
A hidden gem with the best food May 03, 2011
The best mark of a good restaurant has to be that it is fully booked, which is exactly what you’ll find if you turn up at Elizir any evening for dinner. The good news is there is usually room the next night so pick a time, leave your name and climb the walls in anticipation. Not far from the mosque near the main gate Elizir sits on the second floor down a little alley (watch for the sign on the main road).

The decor is retro and immaculately done from the wall paint, to the lighting to the artwork. You will spend the first 20 minutes just looking around taking it all in and then you’ll eat the amazing food. The owner is 100% involved in all aspects of your meal making this small restaurant feel more like a supper club than a thriving enterprise, but don’t be fooled.

Before a menu is delivered you will be greeted with warm bread and a selection of Moroccan salad. Note the salad is carefully presented and served on a dish not the plethora of premade bowls you get everywhere else. The menu is short and simple with a few starters, some tagines, a fillet of beef and a few desserts. Most importantly is the note at the end which says to ask for the house wine – get the white!

A cuttle fish risotto was my starter and pumpkin & leek soup for my girlfriend. Both were well presented and the risotto was just right. I should have eaten half to save some room as I didn’t make it to the dessert but this was my mistake. The main course for me was a chicken tagine which was a a whole free range chicken with mandarins and lemon. It fell right off the bone and was the best one I had in Morocco by far. My girlfriend topped me though wither her beef filet cooked to perfection, rare, doused in a balsamic reduction glaze. Mine was superb, but I still had entree envy.

The dessert menu was well stacked and I had my eye on a chocolate tart but I had eaten so much it just wasn’t possible. If you go try to keep some powder dry because our neighbours got it and it looked delicious.

This was a great dining experience akin to something I’d expect in Paris in London. If you are in Essaouira make sure you get a booking in advance and check this place out. I envisage this restaurant continuing to get great reviews and pushing out the waiting list for tables so book early!
elizir corner table