Rua de Santa Justa , Lisbon, Portugal
213 613 000

Elevadores Lisbon Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
Nice Panoramic View ! Mar 06, 2011
Elevador De Santa Justa (The full name ) or Santa Justa Elevator !

Many different name reviews you can found to TravBuddy , so prefer to follow vestiges from mister davidx or David and with respect will write in the same page with him :)

If this neo-gothic monument reminds you of Paris' Eiffel Tower, you're not just seeing things. It was built by a disciple of Gustave Eiffel in 1902 (just a few years after the Eiffel Tower), with the purpose of taking people between downtown and the Bairro Alto and Chiado districts.

It is 45 meters high (147ft), and has a spiral staircase leading to a terrace and café offering 360-degree bird's-eye views of the city. Today it's mostly used by tourists, a ride that only lasts a few seconds but that's a fascinating journey back to the early 20th century.

The entrance from Largo do Carmo allows you to reach the top without paying for the ride up ... I did this one :)

Some photos to have a look and some from Largo do Carmo :)
davidx davidx
Terminological problems, dazzling sights Mar 08, 1999
When I first thought of going to Portugal, I oculd simply not envisage Lisbon - a place, it seemed, of varying levels joined by some sort of electrical devices.

English and American have different meanings for elevator. What Americans call an elevator is a lift in Britain whereas an elevator is a flight of stairs that moves up or down.

Of the four (I believe) elevadores in Lisbon, three do not conform to either meaning of the word 'elevator'. In these cases an elevador is what we in Britain (and I think Americans too) would call a funicular. Of these I have only been on the Elevador da Gloria. This runs from close to the Tourist Office to the Bairro Alto and from just by the top there is a marvellous view over the lower city to the Castelo de San Jorge. The E da Gloria is also good for reaching the Botanical Gardens entrance.

The fourth and the only one built in the 20th century (1902) possibly conforms to the American elevator and our lift but I very much doubt that anything like the Elevador do Santa Justa can be seen outside of Lisbon.

It is like what I, being English, call a lift, in that you enter at one level and go vertically upwards to another. Hardly any photos show the walkway by which you get out to the higher level and unfortunately the only photo I took that showed it is a disaster area! Above the walkway, a spiral staircase leads up to a cafe, that of course has the same sort of wonderful view as the top of the E da Gloria. The whole structure is reminiscent of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, not surprisingly as the architect was a pupil of Eiffel.
Elevador da Santa Justa
View from top of Elevador da Gloria
Crow1147 says:
There is only one elevador (Santa Justa) in Lisbon. The others are funiculars (or Ascensores) indeed.

Posted on: Nov 07, 2013
davidx says:
It looks like that here but there is a walkway at platform level - that makes it a lift/elevator.
Posted on: Sep 20, 2010
Andy99 says:
Interesting structure and review. I think I'd call it an observation tower.
Posted on: Sep 19, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Elevadores

Further discovery of Lisbon
Earlier this week we’ve spend a day in Belém and the centre of Lisbon, but since there is a lot more to see we decide to go back for another full day. We take a train from the station of…Elevador da Bica this is a classic tram, unique for Lisbon, but unfortunately, dozens of others like us have found…
A lot of squares and even more trains
Once we’re on the train to the centre of Lisbon, we decide to get off at the last stop on the route. From there we take a metro for two stops, which should bring us to the square of Praç…Elevador do Carmo is not the only spot in Lisbon that can provide a good view. From this lower part…

Check Lisbon Hotel Deals