Elephanta Island

Mumbai, India

Elephanta Island Mumbai Reviews

Nair2011 Nair2011
5th to 8th Century caves with rock carved temple Sep 15, 2011
Elephanta caves are located one hour boat ride from Gateway of India, Mumbai. Boat ride cost 3 USD. We can return in any boat. Boat service is in between 10AM and 5.30PM.

These caves are dated back to 5th to 8th century AD. This complex, one of the world heritage sites in India, has 5 caves. The first cave is the important one and dedicated to God Shiva, Hindu god of destruction.

We can see very good rock carving inside this cave. The remaining has little or no carvings. A small village with a bridge is located next to this caves for locals.

Once we land in the elephanta caves peir, we have to walk around 500m to reach the steps to hike. The entrance fee plus the tax costs 15 INR for Indians and 255 (Around 6USD) for visitors from other countries. Chair service is there for 500 INR (around 10USD for old people.

I have seen many monkeys around. Also a warning sign not to play with them. Many souvenir vendors shops are located on the way of climbing.

Overall a great place to visit to be part of Indian history.
Liselore_Verschuren Liselore…
Nice daytrip Oct 05, 2008
From the harbour of Mumbai (near the Gateway of India) ferries leave to Elephanta Island. There appears to be no specific time schedule for these ferries, they leave when they are full. It takes about 45 minutes to reach the island.

I only recommend to visit Elephanta Island if you have more than a full day in Mumbai. It’s a nice daytrip and the main cave is absolutely beautiful. The other caves however, are considerably less interesting and the rest of the island has nothing else to offer but cheeky monkeys and pushy souvenir salesmen.
jethanad says:
I had a very good time when I was there. I found it fascinating. It is so close to Mumbai and I must have spent only 6 hours but it was worth it.
Posted on: Aug 10, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Elephanta Island

2007, A Year of Wonderful traveling
What I did all the year around in 2007? Man that’s a year of travelling; I travel lots of places, Places that I will never forget. The people whom I travel with, each and every person become so clo…Mumbai, Elephanta Island, Merine Drive, Bandra   -----Still few more days to goo No matter where I travel, I miss…
2007, A Year of Wonderful traveling
Elephanta Island
Just after breakfast, we take a taxi to the Gateway of India. From here ferries go to Elephanta Island, where we’d like to see some caves. At the backseat of the taxi we’re so involved i…Elephanta Island, where we’d like to see some caves. At the backseat of the taxi we’re so involved in our guidebook, trying to find at what…

Check Mumbai Hotel Deals