Elephant Trekking Tour

Phuket, Thailand

Elephant Trekking Tour Phuket Reviews

holdmyhandsforever holdmyha…
Elephant Riding in Phuket Jul 27, 2015
The elephants are considered one of Thailand's national symbols. Tagged as the king of all animals, elephants were used during Thai wars decades ago.

"If you haven't tried an elephant activity yet, it seems that you're not still in Thailand". This statement from our tour guide made me realized one thing -- they want tourists to enjoy Thailand completely while enjoying the nature.

Our tour guide also mentioned that decades ago, there are at least 100 thousand elephants in Thailand. Now, they're down to at least three thousand.

The Elephant Trekking Tour is one of the most popular tours in Phuket. There are seven different packages under this tour. We chose the 30-minute elephant trekking. We paid 400 THB per adult. We booked the tour package to an agency (I forgot the name of this agency. My bad.) near the Family Mart in South Beach Patong. Sai, from the agency, told us that the amount she quoted is already discounted. She said she's giving a discount to fellow Asian only.

I'm impressed with the agency as they picked us up at our hotel on time. The van is air-conditioned and is being shared to other tourists having the same tour package.

When we get there, someone approached us to check what package we chose. I handed her our receipt from the agency. She provided us colored ribbons. I think, this is to identify how long your ride is.

The elephants there looks very tired and hungry. They are smelly too. After few minutes, the handler hinted us that the trek is about to start. I immediately put my camera back to my sling bag. On our way to the hill, the elephant keeps on eating while the handler keeps on hitting his head just to continue walking, finishing the 30-minute trek. The handler is using a metal to hit the elephant's head. I felt bad for this beautiful creation. He should have given enough time to eat and rest before and after every trek. I'm sure they are being used every few hours within the day for the rest for their lives.

I diverted my attention to the beautiful view from the top. The beach, the trees, the forest... really beautiful! After few minutes of taking photos, we immediately asked our handler to finish the trek as there were other tourists who wants to see the beautiful views were looking at.

On our way back, I noticed different colored ribbons hanging on trees. Just like them, I left my ribbon to one of the trees in the hill.

The van dropped us off at the South Beach Patong to enjoy the beach while waiting for the sunset.
holdmyhandsforever says:
I agree. I feel bad for the elephants.
Posted on: Oct 02, 2015
vances says:
Looks lovely, but such a shame about the abuse!
Posted on: Oct 02, 2015