Elephant Backpackers

Elephant Backpackers Rates and Deals

Elephant Backpackers Melbourne Reviews

jasoniii jasoniii
Terrible, lack of walls, dirty Jan 03, 2011
First of all, I have to state that the floor we were in was different than the floor above us. It seems that the room we wanted with two beds was on the floor which had not yet been renovated - or perhaps they have no plans to renovate it.

We were attracted to this hostel due to its excellent location... directly across the road from Flinders Station and next door to Degraves Lane. Also, the price was quite low.

When we checked in, we were almost not given our rooms because we didn't take our passports with us. Because we were Australian's, I didn't think to take it with me because I didn't need it at the airport. We were given our keys and went up to our room. As soon as we got to our floor, we noticed a musky smell. The carpet was old, dusty and very stained. But what was most alarming was that the walls didn't connect to the ceiling! Someone in the next room could have pushed to bed over to our shared wall and climbed into our room!

We were there to have fun, and not spend much time in the hostel, so we didn't move to another hostel. But we felt like we had to take absolutely everything valuable with us at all times.

The showers were dirty, and didn't seem to improve. I'm not sure how often a cleaner comes, but there was a pile of rubbish in the corner of the bathroom that seemed to stay there all week.

We met some people in the common area, and asked how their room was. They said it was clean and new. Confused, we asked to view it. They took us up stairs, and as soon as we left to elevator and arrived at their floor, the difference was huge. Everything was new, white and clean. They have comfortable beds, and no vomit stains on their carpet.
This was on the carpet, at the hea…
SeinfeldLover Seinfeld…
I should have asked if there was a CEILING in the room. Apr 28, 2009
I've been staying in hostels for the last six months and this is the WORST place that I stayed in. I opened the door to the room and there was no ceiling. It's like a huge gymnasium divided into cubicles with walls that end 3 feet from the ceiling of the building. I had the top bunk and when I kneeled on the bed and looked over the wall...I could SEE the people in the rooms all around me. I couldn't believe my eyes. The bathroom walls and ceiling were COVERED in mold!! I pre-paid for a week and spent one sleepless night. When I asked for my money back...I had a huge fight with "Shelly" the pathetic excuse for a manager. She was incredibly RUDE and I had to threaten calling the cops if she wouldn't refund my money. I eventually got it back. If you actually like SLEEP...don't stay here.
jasoniii says:
I had the same problems with this place as you. I decided just to stay for the extra three nights, but didn't enjoy them.

One of the filthiest places I've slept in!
Posted on: Jan 03, 2011