El Yunque Rainforest

2413 Cll Laurel, San Juan, PR, USA

El Yunque Rainforest San Juan Reviews

osgoodst osgoodst
Jammin in the Jungle! May 26, 2012
Ever have an urge to see a rainforest but not really want to leave a major metropolis for the night? Then this is the place. It is an okay place to hike, picnic, and jump into a water fall! Word is that you can jump into a sink hole but we couldn't find any.

Admission is charged to enter the visitors centre but I am not sure if you have to pay to enter the park straight up, yo! There are several attractions that are the main draw, the most notable that we checked out were the two water falls. You can also walk to the top of the mountain the forest is on, but we arrived to late in the day to do that ( it takes like 4 hours atleast!). One thing to consider is that I did this trip on a holiday weekend so the place was pretty crowded.

We entered the park and went to the visitors center. They showed us a good video with a little history in it. We then went to a park ranger and he gave us some suggestions. Basically what you do is drive up the mountain and make little stops along the way to hike to sites. La Coca waterfall is a big attraction since you can drive right up to it. Everyone will be visiting this, and when we did there was a huge line of people going to pose seductively in front of it. The other water fall is La Mina WAter fall. It is a "40 minute hike" to visit it. When you get to it you can swim around in it.

When we visited La Mina water fall we thought it would be literally a walk in the park. To bad it turned out to be a 40 minute hike through winding jungle roads to get to it! But this is good as it was an actual chance to see the jungle. Our first attempt to do this involved an alternative trail. The park ranger told us it was closed but we ignored them. That try ended with me balancing on a rock in the middle of a creek with a giant spider eyeing me!

So we took the legit route, i.e. the La Mina trail. It was long... you keep going and going and going. Occasionally a bikini clad hiker will offer you encouragement. After going up and down about 50 million hills you reach the falls. THey are great and filled with bathers....

So what is there to do? Strip down and jump in!
Raining on a forest... must mean t…
bonnie in the parking lot
MsRonda420 MsRonda4…
Ecoquest Tours is the way to go Mar 08, 2011
The MOST Amazing part of my trip. Thanks to our tour guides, Ponch and Angelo, I had the feeling of being able to accomplish any feat. If you have ever wanted to do something as adventurous as zip linning or just experiencing the beauty of Nature, I highly suggest the El Yunque Rainforest.
mainhart mainhart
Magical Place Feb 27, 2010
El Yunque National Rainforest can be quickly accessed by car or by numerous tour operators from San Juan. My hotel arranged for a pick-up from Prep Tours. Ten of us were driven to the rainforest where we hiked for a couple of miles. The La Mina Falls Trail was a beautiful way to experience the rainforest. It was a two mile hike which led you to and away from the lovely La Mina Falls, where you can actually take a swim in. After the trail we were brought to a tower where you can get a bird's eye view of the forest. It is from here that the cloud shrouded mountains provide a very mystical feel. Finally were brought to Muralla- a shack where we could eat lunch. The long line by the ordering window hinted at the wonderful local food that we were about to enjoy. This Puerto Rican man was very excited by the menu and I was not disappointed. The Pina Colada was very nice as was the offer by the young man to add MORE rum at no additional charge (it was not needed). Any visit to San Juan should include a trip to this unique landscape.
Jambiggie Jambiggie
El Yunque Rainforest Oct 29, 2009
Half day trips to El Yunque Rainforest from San Juan can be found & reserved on viator.com http://www.ecoactiontours.com/rainforest.html

or http://www.sunsettourpr.com/tours/

My recommendation of the three is to do a combo tour of EL YUNQUE, LUQUILLO BEACH, & BIO-BAY with sunset tours & make a great day of your vacation.

I have done El Yunque by tour and also on my own and I much prefer going solo. I stayed in isla verde where car rentals are easily found along with many other businesses. After being acclimated with driving conditions by bus, taxi, and tour transportations I felt comfortable enough to tackle it on my own. I picked up my rental & headed to El Yungue early in the morning to avoid the tourist rush. The drive was very smooth & scenic & I made sure to stop at gift shops & souvenir stores along the way. The roads are paved but narrow going uphill and there are many locations to pull over & stop to begin your hike if you choose to do so. It is also possible to do a nice viewing just within the car of el yungue if hiking is out of the question. Some of the cool places to visit at El yungue is la mina falls, La Coca Falls, Observation tower, & even the visiors center. You can spend 3 to four hours easily doing the hikes, swimming the falls, and taking in the mountain scenery up top. There is a nice mist & precipitaion that cools you down & refreshes you so its definently worth trying to make it to the highest point. Finally, when you're leaving there are a couple

nice authentic restaurants worth getting a bite to eat when your leaving El yungue, so go early & work up in appetite.
cicie says:
Congrats on Today's Featured Travel Review
Glynnes says:

Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Review.
vulindlela says:
Congrats!
missandrea81 missandr…
A day in the rainforest May 24, 2008
The El Yunque rainforest is a must-see on your trip to Puerto Rico. Located in the east corner of the island, it is easy to reach from San Juan. Get a car and drive for about 40 minutes towards Rio Grande (tours are also available.)

You will love the lush greenery and tropical plants. Once the road start climbing upward you'll see more and more little waterfalls and huge bamboo trees lining the road. It will also get a bit cooler but not less humid up here. After a little while you'll pass the first welcoming sign to El Yunque. On your right you will pass the portal and visitor center. If you'd like some information about the rain forest you should go check it out. However you'll have to pay an entrance fee if you do. I usually skip this and go straight into exploring mode.

There are several spots where you can pull over and snap some pictures of the view or even waterfalls like La Coca, which is right by the road. Only one road leads in and out of the rain forest so if it's too busy on your way up, simply stop by later on your way back. The La Coca falls are breath taking especially after a rain shower when the water is coming down hard.

The next stop is the Yokahu tower. From the top you get a great view towards the ocean and all over the rain forest.

Now you'll have to take your pick on what to do next.

There are several hiking trails that will take you to the peaks of the highest mountains in El Yunque or you go and check out the other big waterfall La Mina. There are two trails leading you to La Mina falls. Both are very pretty, but watch your step, it can be slippery. If you stay on one of the actual hiking trails, flip flops will be fine, though I do not recommend them if you are as clumsy as me. ;)

I truly love El Yunque! Please go and check it out! You won't regret it!
Entrance to El Yunque
El Portal, the visitor center
La Coca falls
Yokahu tower
missandrea81 says:
Thanks, Sylvia. :) It's more adventurous if you were flip-flops. haha
Posted on: Dec 08, 2011
sylviandavid says:
Thanks so much for this review. I especially liked that you cautioned about slippery and no flipflops. Lacoca falls are beautiful! Great review! Sylvia
Posted on: Dec 06, 2011
cthunder86 says:
Ahhh good memories. If you visit the highest point you can see Puerto Rico's famous "party" islands to the east.
Posted on: Dec 05, 2011
perfektewelle perfekte…
Jun 11, 2007
Have you ever wished that you could walk through a rainforest? Have you ever longed to smell the lush fauna? To feel the tropical rain falling down upon your shoulders? To hear the calls of animals in surround sound? Yet, the Amazon is too far and too dangerous?

About 40 km from San Juan Puerto Rico, lies a magnificant rainforest : El Yunque.

Walk through lush forests, hear the Puerto Rican Parrot sing, or the coquie frogs calling out to others. Smell the greenery. Take in all of your senses as you hike the beautiful rainforest.

Go to the observatories. Look over the mountain tops as the clouds gather. Relish in the beauty of nature!

This is the only rain forest in the US territories! Check it out!
missandrea81 says:
I loved El Yunque too! Rainforest and waterfalls, what else could you possible want! :-)
Posted on: Jan 10, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About El Yunque Rainforest

El Yunque & Fajardo
We left San Juan and headed to El Yunque Rainforest to do a little casual hiking.  It was a beautiful drive to the rainforest and we stopped at Big Tree/La Mina Falls trail, which I believe is a…San Juan and headed to El Yunque Rainforest to do a little casual hiking.  It was a beautiful drive…

Check San Juan Hotel Deals