El Torero

Millburn House, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

El Torero Newcastle upon Tyne Reviews

Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
El Torero Oct 06, 2012
Best advice I can give for this place is just GO and try it for yourself. To me it's probably the best tapas I've had outside of Spain.

Sometimes you just get lucky, as the first place we tried was full, the second we couldn't find and we stumbled across El Torero in a street/lane that runs down between St Nicholas Cathedral and the Black Gate, down towards Dean Street.

First thing you notice when you go in is just how nicely it is furnished. Staff were quick to get us seated, and explained their policy of timed sittings ( which suited with what we were doing anyway). Having been, and passed by later I would reccomend booking here first, bookings before 8pm are based on 2 hours at the table and those after 8pm have the table for the rest of the night.

Gave us time to decide waht we wanted, and had drinks on the table for us doing so. I had a nice pint of draught San Miguel :), my wife had a a good house red wine, but think the coke was just bog standard :D

There was an extensive choice of tapas on the menu, and the real dilema was what not to order :O as you can still only eat so much. By the time the waiter came back we had already written down a list of the dishes we wanted, to save time and hassle.

We went for the Tabla Mixta (a large board of Serrano ham and manchego cheese), Gambas al aljillo (prawns), patats cortjileras (potatoes with chorizo and red pepper),Albondigas (meatballs),croquetas de jamon y pollo (chicken and ham croquettes), Tortilla Espanola(omlette), Ficasse de pollo (chicken in a cream sauce), Morcilla ( black sausage) and cordero en caldereta (lamb in a tomatoe sauce).

Each one of them was delicious, and washed down nicely with a few more San Miguel. Only thing though would be to teach Stacey that sharing doesn't mean eat all the ones I like first :P

Did note that the Morcilla tasted a bit different, in a good way, and that it was a lot more moist. Think the waitress was impressed we picked up on it and was keen to explain that the stuff they used was made from rice rather than the usual oats.

I skipped on dessert, but the others went for it and they looked great, and tasted even better. one had the Tarta De Chocolate Y Amareto and the other was Tarta De Limon Y Mascarpone.

The staff were great throughout, and all seemed to be Spanish. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, which plays such a big part in any great meal.

Highly recommended, verging on a must, and know that if I'm back in Newcastle I'll be booking ahead to get a table here.
Sign Outside El Torero
Nice Pint Of San Miguel In El Tore…
El Torero Menu