El Tatio Geysers

El Tatio, Atacama Desert, Chile

El Tatio Geysers Atacama Desert Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Tour to El Tatio Gesyers Nov 01, 2016
When the alarm went off at 4.00 AM I did briefly question our sanity! Would this tour to see the geysers of El Tatio really be worth the sacrifice of sleep? Would it live up to the high expectations I had had ever since reading of this sight in ‘Between Extremes’ by Brian Keenan and John McCarthy? Oh yes ..... it would!

El Tatio is the largest geyser field in the southern hemisphere and the third largest in the world, with over 80 active geysers. For the most part they do not erupt to a particularly impressive height (the average is 75 centimetres) although the tallest can reach six metres. What is striking here is the sheer number of them in such a concentrated area. The spectacle is enhanced by the columns of steam that rise above each geyser and condense in the cold morning air – hence that early start.

The geyser field lies about 90 kilometres north of San Pedro de Atacama, along a mountain road that in daylight offers amazing scenery, as we were to see on our return. But driving out of town in a small convoy of tourist buses and cars (everyone leaves around the same time), all I could see out of the bus window was the looming dark shadows of the surrounding hills and overhead thousands of stars – our first reward for rising so early. By the time we arrived, at around 6.00 AM, the sky was already growing lighter and the stars fading, but in any case these were soon forgotten at the sight of the steaming landscape that surrounded us.

We stopped briefly at the entrance for our guide to get our tickets (entry costs 5,000 pesos, which is included in the cost of some tours but not others, so do check when booking). Some people also took the opportunity to visit the toilets, the only ones at the site. Despite the other-worldly scenery the area near the entrance did not initially inspire – a large parking lot full of buses and other vehicles, and a lot of bundled-up very cold tourists! But once we drove into the site itself and got out of our bus, it already seemed a bit less busy, and a lot more exciting! The geyser field is pretty large and guides obviously collaborate to lead their groups on different paths through it, so although you will inevitably encounter other people it isn’t crowded enough to spoil your experience – and after a few attempts to take people-free photos I soon realised that these silhouetted shapes tended to enhance my images rather than spoil them!

But before we even set off on our walk we had a safety briefing. You will see that the geysers are surrounded by stones which have been placed here by locals to mark the safe walking areas. Get too close and you risk falling through the thin crust into the boiling water. This is a real warning – tourists have done exactly that from time to time and been severely burned or I believe even died. Watch your step at all times, stay reasonably close to your group and take any warnings that you are getting too close very seriously.

The other safety risk relates to the altitude. Your guide (if you’re on a tour, as most visitors to the geysers are) will brief you on the possible symptoms of altitude sickness, which include headaches, nausea and dizziness. If you feel any of these you should alert your guide if on a tour, or descend to a lower altitude if you have come independently. Even if you don’t have any symptoms, be prepared to feel some fatigue so take it easy here – no rushing around!

Once in among the geysers your guide will lead you on a winding path between some of them and, as you go, explain something of the phenomenon. Geysers are caused when surface water gradually seeps down through the ground and meets rock heated by magma, so are most often found in volcanic areas such as this. The heated water erupts through narrow channels under extreme pressure (if there is more room, a hot spring is formed rather than a geyser). These eruptions happen periodically as the water overheats then (through erupting to the surface) cools again. Between eruptions the water steams and it is that steam that makes the El Tatio field look so other-worldly at dawn.

We spent about thirty minutes here. We walked, took photos (LOTS of photos!), and shivered in the icy air – although I realised that my feet, which are usually the first part of my body to feel the cold, didn’t do so, presumably because the ground is so warm underfoot. Gradually the sun started to touch the surrounding mountains, and at the moment when it was high enough to reach down into the valley it seemed to me that a collective sigh of pleasure arose from everyone as they were touched by its warmth.

This was our cue to head back to the parking area where a breakfast of hot tea or coffee, cake and biscuits was served on a table set up with views of the geysers. As well as enjoying the hot drink and warmth of the sun, I had fun photographing a cheeky Black-hooded Sierra-Finch who came pecking for crumbs under the table.
El Tatio, just before sunrise
Awesome write-up Sarah.
Posted on: Jan 26, 2017
Toonsarah Toonsarah
El Tatio: Pozón Rústico Nov 01, 2016
After visiting the main geyser field at El Tatio and enjoying a light breakfast we moved on to another area where it is possible to bathe in the hot spring water at the Pozón Rústico. Anyone who takes a tour here is advised to bring bathing suits and a towel, but we had opted not to as the thought of changing into almost nothing and then getting wet in that chilly air didn’t especially appeal! When I first saw the pool, I wondered if I had made a mistake, as it looked sort-of fun, but as it turned out the bathers didn’t really get very long to enjoy the experience, allowing for changing time, and it would all have been a bit rushed for my liking.

About a third of the people on our tour chose to go in the hot spring. I had been a little concerned that there would be nothing to do for those not bathing there would be little to do but wait, but I couldn’t have been more wrong! There is plenty to see in this part of El Tatio too. Chris and I really enjoyed exploring the area near the pool where there are several more geysers, including the one that erupts the highest (up to around 6 metres) which we were fortunate to see in action (photo three). Looking around on our own meant that we could take our time over our photos and as the sun was now up the temperature was much more pleasant here. The time passed quickly and soon we had to return to the bus to meet up with the bathers – some of whom seemed to have really enjoyed the experience and others less so!
Sunlight through steam, Pozón Rú…
Geyser erupts, Pozón Rústico are…
Pozón Rústico area of El Tatio