El Retiro Bar and Restaurant, Hotel Catedral

Mexico City, Mexico

El Retiro Bar and Restaurant, Hotel Catedral Mexico City Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Nice restaurant but sloppy and tardy service! Nov 26, 2008
When you stay in a hotel as good as Hotel Catedral for such a low price, you kind of know that nothing can be perfect and something must go wrong. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you El Retiro - the one place that must be retired in this otherwise perfect hotel!

The food isn't expensive, it just isn't tasty. The staff can't speak English, and the worst part is they expect you to pay tips! I don't believe it, I always thought tips were optional. But instead, on the final day when I was checking out from the hotel, I was told by Reception that I "owed" money as tips. Seriously!! Never seen this in my life before.

The nice part about this resnt is the fresh chips they serve everyday with the spicy salsa sauce. Other than that, everything else is wrong - the bread is hard, the cereal is stale and salt crackers are too soft. The main course is hot and stuff, but just not cooked very well. Terrible spice levels, and it's impossible to get anything vegetarian unless you're willing to settle for something that's oily and got lots of stale white Mexican cheese.

Overall rating - avoid!