El Palomar

1336 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA, USA

El Palomar Santa Cruz Reviews

Eric Eric
fun, casual setting, but limited food at bar area May 28, 2009
Met with metsbwd and poohstanggt here while we were all in Santa Cruz for dinner and drinks. We got a seat in the back/bar area so that we would be able to watch the NBA playoff game (Go Lakers!).

They got there right before 6PM, during happy hour, and ordered a few appetizers for cheap happy hour prices. Margaritas, on Thurs, were also only $4.50. The food was not bad, but didn't stand out too much either. My favorite dish was Jose's special, which was a platter of fish, shrimp, and beans that you could put into freshly hot tortillas.

I should also note that, since we sat in the back bar area, there was a limited menu. We were only able to order off the appetizer menu which limited our food options. In terms of a bar/social scene though the bar looked pretty bustling. There were lots of people there throughout the night. There were also 6-7 different beers on tap, including a Kona Lager which I really liked.

The service was good, although it was kind of odd how the waitress kept asking if we wanted the check, even after we said we were going to stay to watch the end of the game (and there were other empty tables). We ended up ordering food/drinks throughout the night, though, so hopefully she was happy!

Overall, a lively place, and great setting for catching up with old friends or meeting new ones!
lisa says:
whoa, Jose's special sounds good..
Posted on: May 29, 2009
worldcitizen worldcit…
Sep 06, 2007
This Mexican restaurant on Santa Cruz's busy Pacific Avenue can by easy to miss because it is not right on the street, it's slightly further back. I'm always wary of non-taqueria, non-cheap Mexican food, but I was really satisfied with this restaurant. They serve a lot of typical Mexican fare made with local produce and local seafood.

The salsa served with the complimentary chips and salsa was really good. I had a shrimp burrito which was huge and delicious. The half of it I saved was quite tasty the next day ;)

Check Santa Cruz Hotel Deals