El Madena Restaurant

N/A - N/A

El Madena Restaurant Aswan Reviews

hdao74 hdao74
Good Egyptian food for below average price Jul 22, 2008
After several mediocre meals in Aswan, we were on our last evening, wandering the souq streets looking for yet another safe, new place to eat. While trying to avoid guys hassling us to come check out their souvenir shops, we passed by El Madena Restaurant. From the outside, the place looks decently clean. So we decided to give it a try. There were only two other people dining in the restaurant when we sat down, but it was only 4pm.

There was a good selection of dishes on the menu, everything from lamb stew to kebabs to pigeon. I forget how the pigeon is prepared, but it seems to be popular in Egypt as I see it on more menus than not. So I ordered the lamb stew with rice, and my buddy ordered the kebab (and kushari?). To my surprise, the lamb stew was good. The lamb was tender, cooked with vegetables like eggplant, tomatoes, etc., and the whole concoction had a lot of flavor (being asian, I gotta have lots of flavor in the food I eat). My buddy was also impressed by the kebab was good. He wasn't hungry but managed to finish the kebab and even ordered dessert (some kind of pudding). He thought it was ok.

As we were in the middle of eating, we noticed that a lot of the locals started coming in. This is a good sign for us tourists to eat at a restaurant that's popular among the locals. I didn't need to be assured of that as I was already impressed by the food.

All in all, it was the best food I had in Egypt, and this was just the first leg of Egypt...sad to say. The price is inexpensive for the quality relative to the food I've eaten at the hotel and other local joints. It's just too bad that we found El Madena on our last evening in Aswan.
yheleen says:
thanks for the information ;)
Posted on: Aug 13, 2008