El Fishawy

Cairo, Egypt

El Fishawy Cairo Reviews

pepo36 pepo36
a taste of old Egypt Apr 10, 2011
Its one of the very first local cafes "we call them baladi cafes or simply qahwa"

i heard that king farouk used to chill there and smoke shisha

anyway the place itself is very old and very full of heritage , the decorations of the place are considered antiquities

they serve shisha , tea , coffee and some other juices and traditional drinks

the pricing is more than average but that is justified by the feeling the place gives u

the most annoying thing abt the place is those ppl who keep coming in trying to convince u to buy anything they have even if u say thank u they keep insisting , also the beggars that will interupt u

but in general its one of the places that u have to go to when u r in cairo
Transitory Transito…
El Fishawy tea/coffee/shisha in Khan el Khalili Apr 11, 2009
I like that El Fishawy's is somewhat hidden off behind some other shops from the entrance of Khan el Khalili market. It's a bit away from the major foot traffic, and still open air. I also like that you can still experience the bustle of the souq, as sellers still walk by you trying to sell their wares but it's not too aggressive.

When I was there I had the hibiscus lemonade which was refreshing though a bit sweet, and I had some good shisha. My friend Ann had some rich mango juice, very thick and pulpy, not watered down and fresh. Unfortunately, in her juice a bug had gotten into it. Okay, so this sort of thing happens, a little fruit insect got into the mix BUT the way the situation was rectified was not quite right.

When we tried to flag down a waiter, the first sped by ignoring us, the second sped by and called that he would be back. Finally, he did end up sending another waiter over. We explained the situation and was offered a new glass of juice. Ann had already lost her appetite by this time and declined, and the manager was called over and repeated the offer of a new juice. She refused firmly and asked that the juice be taken off the bill. The manager said she had drank it already and expected us to pay. We scoffed at that, and repeated that it should be taken off the bill. Finally the manager gave in, and then sent over another waiter to give us change for our bill, except he DID not take the juice off the bill and we had to state again that we were not paying for the juice.

Even though the ambiance, location, history, and what they offer is generally good, do be forewarned of silly, inattentive, inefficient, and possibly petty sort of service.
TravellingAuntie says:
We ran into the same thing - in terms of petty service. We ordered 5 turkish coffees with no sugar and for some reason 1 came with sugar. The waiter didn't believe me (although he didn't try it either) and when he came back with a fresh coffee he made a big deal of displaying the cup before pouring - "see, no sugar!"
I have to note that the falafel there was about the best I had, but otherwise found it a bit overly touristy. There are many awahs around Cairo that attract local characters, and one right next door to Fishawi's that had no customers at all.
Posted on: Feb 20, 2010
Transitory says:
if they served it up on a plate as a delicacy that'd be a diff story ;)
Posted on: May 27, 2009
globalodyssey says:
they didn't give you a new glass..they just took out the bug...more sensible
Posted on: May 27, 2009
Rokerij Rokerij
Only for the Experience.... Oct 22, 2009
We spent hours trying to find this place, in no real hurry, while we shopped the markets. We arrived around 11pm and sat directly under the sign. The place was packed solid. We were sitting for about 15 minutes before anyone even talked to us, even though there were about 8 waiters who kept leaning on my chair. Eventually we got a waiter to acknowledge us and we ordered some coffee and a sheesha. We took our pictures and finished the coffee's and sheesha and decided that was enough. It was very hectic and very dirty. We watched the waiters push the garbage under chairs out of sight.

We got our pictures and can say we were there. Not a place I would recommend if you are looking for a good coffee, or sheesha. I definitely wouldn't eat there because I can basically guarantee the stomach bug. That is if they serve food, we never seen anyone eating.
Biedjee Biedjee
200 year of business and yet to experience a quiet day Mar 01, 2008
El Fishawy is an Arab tea house smack in the middle of the bustling streets of Khan el-Khalili.

The owners are proud to mention that they have been in continuous business for over 200 years and have not been closed for a single day.

The place specialises in Chai and Sheesha (tea and waterpipe) but they serve soft drinks as well - No food.

Though obviously very male dominated, women are welcome too, and these days you can even see groups of local women lurking on a waterpipe here.

During Ramadan this place is closed during daylight hours and absolutely packed after sundown.

It is a great place to sit down and watch the world go by.
big classy mirrors on the outside
packed on the inside