El-Charro Cafe'

6310 East Broadway Boulevard, Tucson, AZ, USA
www.elcharrocafe.com - (520) 512-8607
El-Charro Cafe' - Another photo of Don Julio on our table: the best tequilla ever
El-Charro Cafe' - My Carne Seca Plate
El-Charro Cafe' - Photo on our table, Don Julio

El-Charro Cafe' Tucson Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Best Carne Seca Meal in Tucson Apr 05, 2010
El Charro Mexican Restaurant is one of the few 'authentic' Mexican restaurants here in Tucson. Established in the 1920's by the Flin family, it has stood the test of time, serving Tucsonans and visitors from the world around. The same family has continuously operated this restaurant, well it is referred to as a Cafe' (don't know why), it does not look anything like a Cafe'. The El Charro Cafe has three operating venues in Tucson: one on Broadway Boulevard, one on North Court Avenue and the third on East Sunrise Drive. The Broadway Cafe is not much to look at from the outside, but the inside is cozy and inviting, great atmosphere with lovely Mexican art on the walls. Deep red color on the walls with additional brightness form the silver frames on the left wall as you enter the restaurant.

I have dined at El Charro many times, I even hosted the Tucson Travbuddy Meet-up at El-Charro where we enjoyed a hearty dinner, I wonder why it has taken lone to write about it. Now that I have the time, I must say I highly recommend this restaurant for the taste of Mexican food. Last night Desire and I took our friend Michael to dinner at the Cafe on Broadway Boulevard, which happens to be the closest location to us. It was Saturday night so it was pretty busy, lucky for us we were able to get a table for three without waiting. Once we were seated, the line outside grew bigger.

The service was commendable, our server Mario was confident and pleasant. He knew the menu pretty well and was able to explain to us what was included in each meal. Since Michael has never had the opportunity of ordering a Mexican meal, he asked if I would. For a starter, we ordered the cheese crisp with green chillies and salsa. For the main meal, I was glad to choose the Carne Seca platter which happens to be one of their most famous plate. It includes authentic sun dried shredded beef, fried rice, mashed beans with cheese, vegetables and a side of sour cream. It came with two corn tortillas on the side. You should try it if you ever dine there. We ordered another plane of enchiladas, great taste. I have had their tortilla soup, which is without a doubt one of the most intriguing tastes in soup, definitely a try if you want to try their soups.

Now I must warn you though, this restaurant has a history and is way overrated if you ask me. I have had friends disappointed because they read reviews before coming down and it seemed their expectations were not met. It does have great food, but do not go in with too much expectations. IA try not to read many reviews on restaurants before going in, because them you will expect heaven and if the expectations are not met, then you feel let down. It is kind of like judging someone from gossip you heard before meeting them and finding out otherwise (smile!)

For me, it has always been a great place to eat what is called Mexican food, I bet if I went to Mexico, I would eat something entirely different. Since this is what the Mexicans who live in Tucson call real Mexican food, I commend the taste and service I have received at El Charro at the Broadway and North Court avenue (This is the downtown location I the Presidio). I'm yet to visit the Ventana/ Sunrise branch. Desire and Michael seemed to have enjoyed their meal thoroughly.

The margarita drink is to dies for, great mix, nothing like what you find at borders or any other Mexican restaurants.

Here is a summary of El Charro Cafe, Tucson:

*Cuisine: Mexican

*Price: Cheap – Moderate ($7.00 -$17.00)

*Locations: Broadway Blvd & Wilmot Ave, Ventana & Sunrise and North Court Avenue

*Dress code: Casual to elegant

*Hours: Open daily

*Payment: All major credit cards, bank card, cash

*Great for anyone, they have a great menu for children

*Reservations: Not required, accepts walk ins

Enjoy, do leave me a comment below with your thoughts.
My Carne Seca Plate
Beef Enchilada
Desire, Mike and I at dinner
Desire enjoying her Cherry temple …
Africancrab says:
I hope I do too, I will definitely make Mexico sometime this year, where will be determined by the time of year.
montecarlostar says:
Mexican food in Mexico will beat even these restaurants Harriet, believe me ;) I will make sure I make a good selection for the Panamerican games Meet-up I want to organize in 2011. But I hope you have the chance to visit Mexico before that :D
Dr_Seuss says:
Looks a pretty decent place to grab a bite to eat :)

Check Tucson Hotel Deals