El Brellin

www.brellin.com - 02 5810 1351

El Brellin milano Reviews

DAO DAO
Disappointing Feb 08, 2017
When you first approach the massive and historic building, you imagine that the food must be superb. Inside I was greeted by photos of was women who used to work next door laundering clothes by hand. It’s this activity that gives the Cafè El Brellin its name. I was invited to go upstairs where the dining tables are nestled underneath the ancient wooden beans that were hand cut and erected 1300 years ago. The atmosphere is fantastic. Then I started to notice the less attractive qualities. The first is that the staff do not go upstairs much, so if you want another drink, you might as well go back doenstairs to the bar. I had to do this a few times. The waiters only seem to cover their own tables and view their job as taking the order, delivering the food and brining the bill. All after long waits.

All the nice historical settings and décor do not make the menu better. I started with a risotto that tasted odd at best. It was easily the worst tasting risotto I have ever had. My main looked the business, but failed to deliver on taste. My main meal was the Tournedos all Rossini. This is Fillet beef Rossini with goose foiegras, a truffle and Madeira sauce. I found the beef tough, poor quality and full of fat. The sauce was not good. Even the house red wine was poor.

For these prices, you should look elsewhere. I was really excited when I walked in and so disappointed when I left.

History lesson:

The restaurant is located near the small alley called Darsena of Porta Ticinese. It’s named after an old wash-house which operated here until the 1950’s. The building now hosting the Cafè El Brellin was for decades a drugstore that sold “Paltun” (a kind of laundry soap), hot water, brushes and bleach to the wash ladies. They would then kneel on the wooden “Brellin”, rubbing the clothes on the stone “Brelle”. Some of these are still visible in the alleyway. There are quite a few photos in the restaurant of these ladies doing this difficult job for customers. The building itself dates to around the year 1700.

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

milano Map