El Bajio

Alejandro Dumas 7, Mexico City, Mexico

El Bajio Mexico City Reviews

sybil sybil
Feb 17, 2008
While visiting the polanco neighborhood, a valet guy at the marriott recommended that we check out el bajio.

the restaurant was very modern and pretty and even had lots of flat screen tv's showing lilo and stitch (strange!). we saw tourists (staying at nearby hotels) and locals alike dining here.

i ordered a whole bunch of little things:

1. The carnitas taco - i did enjoy the pork. it was a choice cut meat and not too greasy.

2. The carnitas con queso - i also enjoyed this. it was basically a quesadilla with pork. again, not too greasy.

3. I forgot the name of the third thing i ordered but it was basically a fried empanada-like appetizer with crab inside. i did not enjoy this as much. i thought "crab" and "fried" would go well together but not on this one. i could hardly taste the crab.

4. Ceviche - this was a white fish in lots of lime. i thought this was ok.

i also tried some of jen's food:

- the mole negro sauce - this was also too smokey and too sweet for me.

- a brown mole, which was pretty good. the sweetness was a whole lot more subdued and it was not smokey.

i did enjoy their red and green hot sauces. i did not enjoy the "tortilla chips" (in quotes because they came big) - tasted a bit stale.

i gave this place 3 stars because there were hits and misses. location was excellent though.
carnitas quesadilla
crab inside this fried empanada-li…
mellemel8 says:
OMG i miss REAL mexican food
Posted on: Feb 20, 2008
vulindlela says:
I love the Polanco area.
Did you get to Chapultepec Park?
You sure do a good job on your food tips.
I am ready to eat!
Posted on: Feb 20, 2008
jenn79 jenn79
Good Mexican food in Polanco Mar 04, 2008
This was a fun little place in the Polanco area down the street from the big hotels (Marriott, W, Intercontinental). The food was slightly above average, service was slightly above average, let's face it, service in Mexico City is just generally VERY good.

I forgot what I ordered, but I was so frustrated with our mole dish at Gold and Blue at UNAM that I ordered their house mole here. It was GOOD =), lots of nice spices and just slightly sweet. And there ended my frustration searching for good mole. =)

This is a pretty, low key restaurant that's bright with large windows you can open that gives you a nice view of the streets of Polanco.
Sybil and her spread!