El Aguajal

Huiracocha, Lima, Peru
www.aguajal.com - (1) 4319758

El Aguajal Lima Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
De la Selva su sabor (From the rainforest it's flavor) - El Aguajal Sep 29, 2009
As its slogan says, this restaurant has all the flavor from the rainforest.

This restaurant has now 6 locations, 3 in Lima, 2 in the rainforest and even 1 in London!!! I was so surprised when I saw that, hehehe.

I was with BiG and wanted him to try the rainforest food. I have always heard about this place, including very good reviews and interview to the chef who is very proud of being from the rainforest, but never went there. So this was time to go.

We visited one of the locations in Lima. It's located near the business area, but not in the middle of it, so it was quiet and not busy. It doesn't have a big sign outside, but you will find a wall with a rainforest landscape on it, so you'll be sure you are in the right place.

The decoration inside is very nice. Wood tables and chairs, looking like logs. Hanging on the walls and everywhere you'll find handicraft from the rainforest. They even have a minizoo at the back - just 2 turtles and a parrot.

Now, about the food. Peruvian food is very well known, but that's not the case of the rainforest one. They use the local products including lot of plantain, fruits and mostly pork, fish and chicken. Chifles (fried plantain) with aji de cocona (fruit and spicy to dip) are given as compliment.

I studied the menu and ordered the following:

+tropical salad: yes, a salad but they added some cocona slices. The cocona is a typical fruit from the area. Very fresh and yummy

+Patarashka al vapor: steamed fish. It was cook wrapped in a banana leaf, which gave it a nice flavor. The meat was so tender.

+Tacacho: instead of getting rice or patacones as side, I asked for the tacacho which is made with mashed plantains and some pork. It's very tasty!!!

+Drinks: we got typical juices. Cocona, was pulpy and a bit sweet. Camu Camu, was sour. Yummy

Not only the flavor of our meal was great, but also the presentation of the dishes.

The staff was very kind and helpful. The waiter was giving me suggestions about what to order. He had lot of patience to answer all my questions, hehehe. But also offered to change some things on the menu, so we'd try the most possible.

If you are looking for rainforest food when you are in Lima, I highly recommend
the name: El Aguajal
nice wall at the entrance
nice decoration on the walls
decoration inside
Jacqinmiddenamerika says:
Congrats on your featured review!! Way to go!! :-)
Posted on: Oct 08, 2009
Transitory says:
Posted on: Oct 07, 2009
sarahsan says:
Hi Jadilitta! Congrats on being featured today! Very nice!
Posted on: Oct 07, 2009