Eglise St. Alphonse

https://catholic.lu - +352 691 217 713

Eglise St. Alphonse Luxembourg Reviews

planxty planxty
International Worship. Apr 22, 2017
Whilst wandering round Luxembourg City on a Saturday afternoon I chanced upon what I now know to be the Eglise St. Alphonse and something just didn't look quite right about it. Certainly I am no architect but it seemed to me that with the length of the building that the twin towers were, frankly, a little stubby. It was only today whilst researching this review that I found out the reason. When the Church was being planned in the mid 19th century the Prussians ruled here and for some reason, probably to do with Lutheran doctrine, they refused the original plans with much taller towers.

Still, this slightly architectural quirk was not going to stop me investigating and I have mentioned often before here on Travbuddy and elsewhere that I am drawn to places of worship like a moth to a flame. I do not know what it is as I am an athiest myself and I do not mind which God(s) are being worshipped there, I just find them fascinating.

Having only been consecrated on the day of the saint for which it is named in 1869 it lacks the grandeur of some of the fine older cathedrals in this region but it still has a certain charm and I did rather like it. I was particularly drawn to the stained glass which is a particular favourite artistic medium of mine, be it sacred or secular. There are some fine examples here with many of the principal saints depicted and St. Andrew with his distinctively shaped cross is particularly noticeable. There must have been a good number of worshippers / visitors here that day as there was a sea of votive candles burning.

Again, I return to another travel mantra of mine which is that I learn so much about places not merely by visiting them but by researching reviews like this afterwards and what I learned about Eglise St. Alphonse is that it is very much an international Church which all stems back to the 1950's when a small Coal and Steel Union was formed which, after many changes, has led us to the Federal States of E aka the EU comprising nearly 30 nations, soon to be one less. Obviously the spiritual needs of those coming in from all over the Continent, not to mention further afield, needed to be cared for and St. Alphonse became the centre for international Roman Catholic worship. There are large English, Italian and French speaking groups but also those from much further afield with notable contributions from countries as far apart as the Philippines and Malta. Apparently a recent survey showed worshippers from no less than 50 countries attending a Sunday morning mass. In these days when Christianity is in fairly terminal decline in my country I found this very impressive. It is not my gig for sure but it is impressive nonetheless.

As I mentioned above, this church is not one of the grand places of worship like Aachen or Canterbury or wherever but it is not hard to find and it is definitely worth a look.

Check Luxembourg Hotel Deals