Eetcafe De Beurs

28 Grote Kerkstraat, Meppel, Netherlands

Eetcafe De Beurs Meppel Reviews

pms70 pms70
Outdoor lunching in Meppel Apr 09, 2008
I have eaten here a few times and usually the food has been quite nice. I had lunch here with a friend on April 9th 2008. We ate out on the terrace which was very pleasant as it was a sunny day.

Not long after we sat down, probably five minutes at most, the waiter came out to ask if we had made a choice. I thought this was quite fast, I hadn't even looked at the menu yet. My friend and I both asked for fresh milk, we specifically said fresh, not long life milk, but were served with long life milk anyway. Once the milk was brought out the waiter left again and after about fifteen minutes I went inside to give him our order as he had not come back or even looked at us again, even though we had made it clear we wanted to have lunch.

We ordered two salads, which we shared. There was a Caesar Salad and a Goat's Cheese Salad. They were both nice but I do have a few comments:

In my opinion a Caesar Salad should be served with Roman Lettuce, or Kos Lettuce as it is also called. This one had a mixture of different types of lettuce. It had chicken strips and bacon, croutons and Gorgonzola cheese. This was specified on the menu so even though it's not traditional we knew about it. There were no anchovies, and the dressing did not resemble anything like a creamy Caesar dressing at all.

The Goat's cheese salad was much better. There was also a lettuce mixture with a good sized piece of goat's cheese which was grilled first with some honey. This was served with hazelnuts, apple and a portwine dressing. Yum! I would definitely recommend the latter. Price was €8,50 each.

This bar is at number 31 in the bar top 100 for The Netherlands.
pms70 pms70
Outdoor dining in Meppel Jul 02, 2008
My last eating experience at De Beurs was as follows:

First we ordered drinks. We both ordered coke but it turned out to be Pepsi. I normally ask but I forgot this time and as I don't like Pepsi I gave it away. I ended up ordering a glass of wine instead. We asked to see the menu but after about ten minutes had to ask someone else again as we still hadn't received them.

Again, I had the salad with goat's cheese, but was very disappointed this time. I think they may have changed the cheese but it was so dry I could hardly swallow it. Merv (ice4swervin) said his carpaccio was good though. For mains he had the scnitzel with Stroganoff sauce which was ok and I had the Ossenhaaspuntjes (which I translated to Merv as the end bits of the ox's tail). This is on the menu as a started but I asked for it as a main. I must say the meat was very nice but the combination with the pesto and rice was not very nice. It was very oily and everything was basically swimming in oil...

The Irish coffee I had afterwards had whipped cream on top and the sugar, whiskey and coffee hadn't been stirred properly so the cream was sinking into the coffee. I know it still tastes the same but still... Not the best dining experience I have had!

This bar is at number 31 in the bar top 100 for The Netherlands.

Check Meppel Hotel Deals