Ecomama Hostel

124 Valkenburgerstraat, Amsterdam, Netherlands
020 770 9529
Ecomama Hostel - Social area (teepee in background)
Ecomama Hostel - Kitchen
Ecomama Hostel - View from window
Ecomama Hostel - My 12 bed dorm
Ecomama Hostel - The annoying artwork on the walls

Check Amsterdam Hotel Deals

Ecomama Hostel Amsterdam Reviews

curious_claire curious_…
A charming hostel Oct 07, 2014
I split my time up while i was in Amsterdam. I spent the last few days staying the museum quarter but the first night i wanted to be in the city centre so i chose Ecomama. I stayed in a 12 bed mixed dorm which cost me €19 for the night. A good price for Amsterdam but I was drawn to this hostel because it advertised itself as being green.

The hostel has a good location being in the city centre although i must admit i had difficulties finding this place as it wasn't very obvious from the outside as it looks like a coffee shop. There is only a tiny little Ecomama logo on the door which you don't notice as your focus is taken to the big "filter" sign on the window. But the second time i walked past it i noticed it was the place i was after. But location is fantastic for walking around the city centre.

The staff were very friendly and offered to point out a few places on a map once i had got myself settled. I took her up on this offer and i'm glad i did. She seemed to know the city very well.

The social area was nice and large with plenty of places to seat, which as a solo traveller, i love to see! The kitchen was a nice size and although i didn't actually cook while i was there, it looked like it had everything you would need. I especially loved they had an honour system with the beer. They kept the fridge stocked up with beer (and soft drinks) and you were trusted to pay money into the little piggy bank next to it. But the thing i really loved was the teepee tent in the social area. This was a fun place to hang out.

The room was a typical hostel 12 bed room with several bed bunks thrown together in a room. I did like the fact that we were next to a canal though. Had a nice relaxing view of the water when you looked out the window. But i didn't like the fact there wasn't plug sockets around the room. There were only 2 by the door so we got lucky that someone staying in the room had an extension cord with several sockets that we were all allowed to use. I think what made it more annoying was the fact that they had drawn pictures of sockets and lamps on the wall just to remind us of what we didn't have.

The room i stayed in didn't have it own bathroom but there was a communal one on the floor. I was quite impressed with it actually. Not only was it kept clean, but it also had plenty of toilet and shower cubicles. And the box of soaps/shampoos that everyone could use was a nice touch.

I really enjoyed my stay here and it was a shame that i had to leave after only one night. But if you are after a more relaxed environment rather than a party hostel, then this is the place for you!
The annoying artwork on the walls
My 12 bed dorm